kwazi19

Steps inside rear extension or steps down to garden instead?

kwazi19
5 years ago

Hi. We're planning a rear extension and at planning stage. Our house is higher than the garden by quite a bit. There is a fairly big step down to the patio, and then the patio is a little higher than the lawn. We’re presuming part of the reason for this is our road is on a slope, and our half of the semi is on the lower side, effectively raising our house up on the foundations. We are thinking of having decking out side the extension, so this could take on some of the height, but at some point there’ll need to be a step or two between the end of the original building and the lawn. So we are wondering if steps inside the new extension would work i.e where the kitchen ends and the open plan dining room area begins? Thinking the slight split level feeling could be quite nice, and then effectively having the extra height (if we keep the ceiling height the same as the inside). Most people we have spoken to, prefer the extension to be all one level and have steps outside down to patio/garden instead. We can't decide which is best!! Help please!!

Comments (20)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.