anne_ticehurst64

Glass partition between hall and living room - must be fireproof

A T
5 years ago

We have a 2.5m wide glass partition (with a central door) between our living room and hall, that needs to be replaced due to a combination of accidental damage and the door not being wide enough for a wheelchair. Having a glass partition means we get natural light to the hall and the bottom of the stairs, so although we've considered other solutions we would prefer glass.

In replacing it, we want/need to make it compliant with building regs, so it needs to be made of safety glass and to be fireproof (30 mins). We've had a couple of quotes for a crittall-style partition (we will have black angular metal stair balustrades and are looking for something in a similar contemporary style), but it's looking like that could cost around £9k. I'm not surprised, I knew it was an expensive option. But it's a lot of money to spend, so I'm casting around for other, cheaper ideas.

If anyone has done something similar, or has any ideas, I'd be grateful. It wasn't something I'd planned on needing, and because we're in the middle of a big renovation my mind has been focused on other things. I'm happy to research options, but could do with some search terms or images that would help push me in the right direction.

Comments (6)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.