jaydigs

Bathroom Design Inspiration

Jason Digs
4 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

Hello fellow Houzzers,

Does anyone have any ideas how I can remodel this tiny bathroom please?

Some pictures:

1. Door

2. Door Opened - Toilet and Part of Bathroom Tub

3. Bathroom Tub and Window

4. Partial Tub, Partial Window, Basin and Radiator

5. Radiator and partial basin

6.Door

Comments (32)

• E D
    4 years ago

I actually quite like the door.

Are all, or most of your doors like that?

• Gabby Wong
    4 years ago

Other thing that will be useful is sketching a floorplan with the relevant dimensions on :-)

• Related Discussions

How can I create a Downton Abbey inspired bathroom?

Q

Comments (1)
    Article is 3 years old..............
    ...See More

Contemporary bathroom inspiration

Q

Comments (7)
    I have to confess to being obsessed with midnight/inky blue at the moment so would never say a room is too small for dark tiles ;) If it really worries you, just make it a feature wall, with something toning on the others.. however there are some great examples on here: and some make great use of mirrors to reflect the light around the room. Here's just a couple I've found.. https://www.houzz.co.uk/photos/classical-contemporary-master-spa-bath-contemporary-bathroom-phoenix-phvw-vp~158809 https://www.houzz.co.uk/photos/chiswick-apartment-1-contemporary-bathroom-london-phvw-vp~43258498 https://www.houzz.co.uk/photos/murrayfield-villa-contemporary-bathroom-edinburgh-phvw-vp~12253627 https://www.houzz.co.uk/photos/residential-project-contemporary-bathroom-london-phvw-vp~70628413 https://www.houzz.co.uk/photos/noir-luxury-en-suite-contemporary-bathroom-surrey-phvw-vp~33883615
    ...See More

Need bathroom designer asap - 2 small bathrooms

Q

Comments (6)
    Hi Seasons! We have High Res images available so would always say contact us on info@bathroomeleven.co.uk . Just as we are featured in a few publications this year so have to be careful we don't cross over any of their articles :) If you can email us with the project images you would like to use we can let you know which of our Designers to credit alongside Bathroom Eleven. Hope that's okay! - Adam
    ...See More

Bathroom dimensions posing problems - layout inspiration needed!

Q

Comments (7)
    Obobble and Suzanne C, thanks for the comments. I think the idea of putting the shower and toilet along the right hand wall is a good idea. Do you think there would be room if I put the vanity unit parallel on the opposite left hand wall, rather than underneath the window? (Sorry I like the idea of having a mirror in front of me rather than the window obobble!) Also what do people think are comfortable dimensions for a spacious walk in shower? If I put the shower in the back right hand corner then I’m not tied so much by the width of the window I think as it won’t jut up next to it? Ie it could be wider that 76.5cm?
    ...See More
  • Jason Digs
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Thanks for the comment E D - The downstairs doors have been replaced with cheaper ones but the ones upstairs - 3 bedrooms have doors like that. The house was an inter-war build??? I think it was made between the first and second world war.

• Jason Digs
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks Gabby, let me get something together to help provide those dimensions.

• Jason Digs
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Dimensions here. I hope they help

WALL to WALL

Width- 4.95ft

Length - 7.65ft

BATH TUB

Width/Depth - 2.3ft

Length - 5.7ft

Edge of Bath Tub to Door Side Wall - 2.4ft

WINDOW to TOILET

Edge of Window to Toilet Seat - 3.9ft

• Anthony (Beano)
    4 years ago

Hi bud

not an overly large space and I feel it looks a bit over crowded, if it were me I’d loose the bath unless there is an way of moving a wall and making the room a bit bigger?

if you have a look at my profie (my house so far) and at the end I have some pics of my en-suite which I made into a wet room, I think that would look very well in your room due to size and the fact that you don’t mind removing the bath!

if you have good hands you could do it yourself and at a reasonable cost :-)

• Jason Digs
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks for taking the time to respond Beano. I completely agree in that this is a really small place and I want it to look more spacier. I was looking at the pictures for your wet room and its a stupid question but how does that shower head work - does it hold up in position or do you need to handle it each time you want to rinse. Fantastic pictures by the way but is it possible you might be able to take more so I can get an idea of what the flooring looks like and an image showing the toilet, sink and everything in one shot.

If I was to follow that wet room design, would you be able to advise, what needs to move where once the tub is ripped out? Does the sink stay where it is and I replace with the one you have? Does the toilet stay where it is and I simply replace with the model/part you have? Does the shower stay in place or does it shift to the right further away from the window. By the way when the water from that shower head falls, I cant see if its being caught in a tray or area where you stand. As I said in my original post, I am a complete NEWB.

I think you have an extraordinary eye for design. Thanks for taking the time to respond.

• Anthony (Beano)
    4 years ago

Not a problem, if you look closely at my pics there is a pic of the main shower head front on, I admit it’s a bit hard to make out due to lighting and it being a profile pic, I’ll get some when I get home and I’ll have some more time to have a look at your layout, btw I’m no expert on layout, there are some great people on here for that and I’m sure will be along to help you :-)

• Jason Digs
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you so much Beano. I respect that there may be some great people on here and I am totally open to hearing their advice but I really love the way you keep things clean and roomy in your gallery of photos. Would be mega grateful for your advice on where things should/couid go. Just as a heads up I dont think I can adjust the wall so its a short space we are dealing with but would be great to get your feedback. Thanks again sir.

• PRO
    Delphine Collard Interiors
    4 years ago

Hi Jason,

I agree with your layout idea as it will give you best use of the space, I have done a quick sketch for you to help visualise it. Having the towel rail on the left as you come out of the shower is functional and you have the piping there from the existing radiator. The width of the shower is 90cm which should be comfortable enough. It leaves you enough space for a 45cm wide sink which is ample.

Keeping the toilet in the same place will keep costs down and I believe it is in the right place.

With regard to the door, I agree with E D, I think it looks good, you may want to freshen it up by sanding it and applying a couple of coats of paint, perhaps change the handles as well.

Other things to consider would be to tile around the window and perhaps installing an extractor fan - I recommend an in-line fan if you have the space in the ceiling, plus you have an outside wall which should make it easier. Also, if you are on a budget, I would save money on the white goods and spend more on good quality taps.

Hope this helps,

Delphine

• Sonia
    4 years ago

Hi, I know how you feel. I had a similar tiny bathroom and we eventually got rid of the bath as we never used it and found a shower so much easier the older we got! Initially I thought removing the bath and putting a walk in shower in its place would be easy, but oh no, few rectangular shower enclosures were as small as a bath! In the end we chose a corner quadrant with sliding doors, and it is perfect for us. It is 900mm x 900mm. Best to buy the biggest that will fit. Here’s a couple of pics of mine - the shower and sink were placed where the bath was. The loo stayed where it was on the adjacent wall. I’ve also done a rough, rather crude drawing, of how you could layout the room. Just a suggestion and it will leave the window free, or you could put the loo under the window to give you a bigger shower. Just ideas!

• PRO
    Luxus Design
    4 years ago

Hi Jason,

Have you thought about adding a towel radiator? Here at Just Radiators, we have a wide selection to suit any room - small or large! It can be installed further up the wall, to provide you with more space around the lower wall area. If there is a lack of access to central heating, then we stock electric towel radiators too!

https://www.justradiators.co.uk/towel-radiators

https://www.justradiators.co.uk/towel-radiators/electric-towel-radiators

If you have any questions, then please feel free to contact us on 01772 237416.

We deliver across the whole of the UK for free. As well as this, some of our towel radiators are available for next day delivery - depending on availability https://www.justradiators.co.uk/towel-radiators/next-day-towel-radiators

• Anthony (Beano)
    4 years ago

Couple of extra pics of my en-suite inc the shower head

• Anthony (Beano)
    4 years ago

Browser messing about

• minnie101
    4 years ago

Not to scale but I think this is your suggestion? I've found one a similar size and layout but the actual shower head and niche would be on the opposite side. I think it could work. I would build a 200mm deep niche for all the bottles. The one thing I would say is look at the size of shower trays and doors. You can get things in various sizes but sometimes it's like looking for a needle in a haystack and I think (!) it would be a lot easier to find a 1300x800 shower tray rather than 1300x900. I think you can get a few doors in 1300 but they tend to be sliding ones, have you thought about door style as the radiator/shower will also dictate type of door. How high are the ceilings though? You can of course go bespoke but there are long lead times and you pay more.

• Jason Digs
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Oh my gosh guys, I cannot thank you enough for taking the time to give me your advice. Talk about being lost for choices now!

Delphine - Thank you very much for your time and advice. You mentioned you have done a quick sketch but I did not see it attached. Are you able to share your vision? What do you think of the pictures Minnie101 posted? Would you go for the square cubicle at the top right, quadrant cubicle as advised by Sonia in the top right or do you go exact like for like with the image Minnie101 found, which surprisingly looks like the layout I originally proposed. Interested to hear your view?

Thank you also for the extra tips regarding extractor fan I believe I have one but the pictures I posted did no capture it. Let me add one more here to show where it is. Would you keep it as-is or replace?

My initial post stated I was on a budget but if I was to say I was flexible with the money would you advise differently regarding the placement of the toilet or any other major changes?

Sonia - Thank you for taking the time and being able to share your bathroom design, which I think looks fantastic by the way. I appreciate your advice about the quadrant versus cubicle for space. I think your bathroom is also surprisingly similar in that you open the door and see the toilet, the sink in the middle and the quadrant corner shower. The difference is mine would just be flipped where the quadrant corner would probably look better on the radiator side in the corner. If the shower was immediately in front of the door, I believe the door will extend and open inwards too close to it. I do like the idea of the toilet being moved to the toilet.

Beano - Thank you my brother. Your eye of the tiger is just WOW. If only I had the same size room. That said, you pulled it off in your layout suggestion and its pretty close to the design Minnie101 posted with a few alterations whereby the sink is immediately in front of the door with the Radiator next along and the window. And then placing the toilet on the inside wall. Thank you sir

Minnie101 - You have seriously pulled the cat out of the bag by finding a design so strikingly similar to the layout I am trying to achieve. I love your ideas of the NICHE. Until you said that, I didnt even know what a Niche was! The design itself is a little dark for my liking but I do like how its best made use of the space.

To All - Guys, again, I cannot thank you enough for your time and suggestions. Given that I niw have a few ideas AND if the budget was more flexible, Id be grateful for your feedback on which you guys like from all the submissions above. The goal is to make it look nice, neat clean and roomy. I dont like the idea of it being too congested but would love to hear your views.

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!

• Anthony (Beano)
    4 years ago

Not a problem Jason, I’ll take the time out for anyone but what makes it more special for all of us is when someone actually takes the time to say thanks which you have in spades! :-)

There’s lots to take in in just a day but now you have a few ideas and pointers now you can do a bit of research into the styles of stuff you like and then ask again you your not sure,

I just love to help out where I can tbh :-)

• Sonia
    4 years ago

Hi Jason, I do love a big thank you! Sometimes people ask advice then you hear nothing, no acknowledgement, not even a LIKE! How rude. To give you a guide my new bathroom cost just under £6000, that included shower, shower cubicle, new sink and loo, replastering, tiling and flooring and, of course, labour (the hidden cost). I wish you lots of luck with your refurb.

Jason Digs thanked Sonia
  • Jonathan
    4 years ago

I think I would try to move the door, have an oversized shower rather than an undersized bath. I would have a big vanity with lots of storage and then buy a space saving wc.
    You can also make the space seem bigger by having an outward opening door or a pocket door. A light switch outside the room helps, as does a big mirror and good lighting.

• Jason Digs
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Hi Jonathan, thanks for taking the time and offering your view. That would look good but unfortunately i dont think I could make this work as the door would be moved very close to the top of the stairs. Let me see if i can show you what I mean with another angle shot of the door

Door (another Angle 1)

Door (another Angle 2)

Extractor Fan (Deplhine)

So far I am trying to visualise an idea that incorporates an element of each of everybodys suggestion above by going for something like this:

What I cannot decide between is if it looks better to open the door and see the WC or the Basin. Of course, it would be easier to achieve the WC being on the left (as the existing one is already there) and placing the basin in the middle.

Cannot decide but what I do like is the WC and Basin Beano has in his En-Suite. Beano - any chance of some links to what model they are?

Also what are your guys thoughts on the sliding door? Ive only thought sliding because by opening yet another door within a small space might make it right. Lost?

• Anthony (Beano)
    4 years ago

Hi bud

the toilet is a catalano zero plus toilet, unfortunately they don’t actually the actual make one I have anymore, the sink in my main bathroom is the catalano zero 100, they still make that ok, the en-suite sink is a stone resin one and was used only as I was tight on space, I would not recommend one, looks great but to shallow, doesn’t hold a lot of water and the water splashes everywhere with the high pressure tap!

my main bathroom one is a great sink tbh, can be got in 75cm and 50 cm I think! I’m not as keen on opening a room onto a toilet and that’s my idea of the sink as you come in but its what works space wise for you, ohh and budge!

when the doors closed it really does not matter where the toilet is, try and set real size templates out when you strip it out, this will help to get a feel for the sizes

• PRO
    SANEUX UK
    4 years ago

Jason,

Our PODIUM range has a similar countertop basin to Beano's, or if you need something with more storage, something like our MATTEO range is very slimline, and will work well with your compact space.

Have a look at www.saneux.com if you're interested :)

Good luck with the bathroom project!

• User
    4 years ago

Hi Jason
    Looks like you got your door opening the wrong way round in your plans. I would leave the toilet where it is behind the door, so it's not the first thing you see when you open the door. Unless your planning to re-hang the door?

• Jason Digs
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Hi Sarah,

Sorry for responding........11 months too late. My apologies.

I couldn't get the project off the ground but am trying to resurrect this. The door is indeed going to be replaced. What suggestion(s) do you have?

• E D
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

I like the current door! Why are you going to replace it?

You could possibly change the direction it opens, if needed.

• Jason Digs
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Hi All,

I am about to resurrect an old thread where I was going to renovate the bathroom but didn't get around in doing it. Having looked at a few different options, I used an online planner tool and came up with this layout.

What do you think?

The part that bothers me is the toilet moving from the external wall to an internal party wall. Am I allowed to do that? Is it even possible?

I could keep the toilet on the external wall and move it under the window but I think the aesthetics look better as direction specified in the drawing.

• User
    2 years ago

Where is your soil pipe? If it's on the external wall, I'd leave the toilet on the external wall. That looks like a massive basin you've drawn. I'd prefer a bigger shower to a big basin. And that door is way too narrow.

• Jason Digs
    Original Author
    2 years ago

You are right. i went into BQ yesterday to see what an 800 x 800 shower was like - IT WAS TINY.

I think I need a 1000 x 800 minimum and as such whipped up two layouts where one requires the toilet to move to a new party wall whereas the other keeps the toilet on the exterior wall but moved closer to the window. The second layout proposal results in a small gap between toilet and shower enclosure. Im concerned that gap might be too tiny to walk through?

FYI

Wall with the window is exterior
    Wall to the left separates bedroom
    Wall with the door is internal
    Wall with the proposed toilet is the party wall with neighbour.

i have also posted a vanilla layout of the room size including window and just the door.

Is one of the proposed layouts better than the other?

Are there any other layouts I could consider?

Layout 2 - is the gap between the shower enclosure and toilet be ok?

Vanilla Layout

Layout 1 - requires toilet to move to party wall.

• User
    2 years ago

Layout 1 is better, but where is the soil pipe? You could consider an offset quadrant shower instead of a rectangular one.

• Jason Digs
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thanks Sarah. I believe Soil pipe is on the exterior wall, which adds complexity to layout 1.

• Jason Digs
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Took some time to put create the proper current layout with near exact dimensions of where everything is right now.

CURRENT LAYOUT

DESIRED LAYOUT

• Concern is if the toilet can move to that party wall given that the current location is on the exterior wall?

Open to any other layout ideas if you can recommend,

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.