mary_wetschka

I'm in love again! My 2020 reveal!

MinnesotaMary
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

My kitchen is pretty much done! I knew the holidays would get in the way of posting a reveal so decided to go ahead (waiting for kitchen dining chairs).

We had been considering updating our 23-year old kitchen for the past couple of years; in late 2019, we decided to pull the trigger. My first post here on Houzz was 12/30 and it has been an interesting 11 months. Doing a major renovation during a pandemic had its challenges.

So many people on Houzz gave me wonderful advice and were so generous with their time. Their input helped shape the end result.

Here is a link to my original post and very long thread:

https://www.houzz.com/discussions/5844585/i-want-to-fall-in-love-again-with-my-kitchen#26294683

THE DETAILS

Floors - Brazilian Cherry; sanded and stained DuraSeal Ebony; Bona Traffic HD, satin finish

Walls and ceiling - BM White dove

Cabinets - custom; local shop

Cabinet paint color - BM White Dove; island is cherry and has a custom stain to match floors

Hardware - Emtek Freestone in satin brass; 6-inch centers on uppers and 8- inch centers on lowers; appliance pulls for SZ are 18 inch centers (20 in actual length)

Sink - Kohler Whitehaven in Sea Salt

Faucet - Brizo Litze Angled in Luxe Gold

Garbage disposal air switch - Mountain Plumbing PVD Brushed Bronze

GD - Insinkerator Compact Pro

Countertop and backsplash in kitchen - Taj Mahal polished

Bar backsplash - Onyx and marble mosaic ONIM- 2542

Fridge - SubZero 42-inch Classic with flush install

Double Ovens - Bosch Benchmark - side door swing

Cooktop - Bosch Benchmark

Dishwasher - Miele

Microwave Drawer - Sharp

Beverage Fridge - Zephyr Preserv French door dual zone

Vent - VentAHood

Hood cover - custom painted

Lighting

Ceiling - Halo HLBSL 4 in. Color Selectable Canless Recessed Integrated LED

(You can select 2700, 3000 or 4000; mine are set at 3000)

Undercounter - InvisiLED Pro by WAC

Kitchen pendants - Sarnen Medium Pendant by Aerin

Fireplace sconces - Choisy Wall sconce by Currey and Company

GOAL #1 -LIGHTEN THE LOOK The first thing I wanted to improve was the dark look - everything was the same tone and it was just so dark. We considered painting the cabinets; they were in great shape and solid raised panel cherry. But I wanted more drawers and a less traditional look. We thought about refacing and re-configuring cabinets to drawers for better functionality but that was just as expensive as new cabinetry. And it would not solve the next problem - floor plan.

GOAL #2 - IMPROVE FLOOR PLAN There were layout issues - my cooktop, under - counter wall oven and fridge were bunched together on one short wall; I had a prep sink in the island right across from the main sink (I honestly don’t know whose decision that was 23 years ago!); the large microwave took up counter space I often used when entertaining and the desk was never used. There was also a support post that was, well, just there!

After a lot of discussion, we decided to start fresh and I convinced the husband that a white kitchen was a great solution to the dark. We kept the Brazilian cherry floors though sanded them down and stained them a rich walnut color. (I got a lot of info on how to go about that here on Houzz.) We are thrilled with the results - no more orange/red flooring. We had the new island stained to match the new floor color. So my husband’s desire for wood has been met with the flooring and island.

We repurposed all of our cabinets and appliances to our daughter and son-in-law. They are thrilled with their “new” kitchen and we can go visit our “old” kitchen any time. Win-win!

GOAL #3 - Design a space that flowed well with the surrounding areas - dining space, sunroom and family room. We didn’t intent to touch those areas but as you know, one thing leads to another. Since we plan to be in this home for the next 10 -15 years, we decided to renovate those areas as well.

Ok, here are some of the results! Again, thanks to all that offered ideas, advice and answered endless questions. I will post details in subsequent comments.

Comments (379)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.