david_brett70

Dark Staircase with Dado Rail and Picture Rail

David Brett
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

We are going to decorate our hall, stairs and landing which is quite dark with not a great deal of natural light. The HSL have a dado rail and a picture rail which give us 5 things to consider painting 1 ) the woodwork i.e. doorframes, skirting, dado and picture rails [the doors are pine] 2) Below the dado 3) Between dado and picture rail 4) Above picture rail 5) the ceiling

The woodwork needs to be white, so my question is, what do you consider the best way of doing the wall and ceiling areas. Since it's a dark hallway, the colours have got to be on the lighter shades.

Options are:

1) Darker colour under the dado, lighter shade between dado and picture rail and then white above picture rail and ceiling .... I'm not sure if this looks a bit dated and fussy these days with effectively three different colours on the wall.

2) Have the same colour above and below the dado rail and then white above picture rail and ceiling.

3) Have white under the dado rail, have a band of colour between dado and picture rail and then white above picture rail and ceiling

4) Same as 3, but having a very light off white under the dado and above picture rail and ceiling.

Has anyone got any experience of having a dado and a picture rail and what did you decide to plump for? What is the modern way of looking at this? And the last question - I've been looking at some greys for this hallway, but I'm really not sure that my pine doors and grey paint make great bedfellows - again, opinions gratefully received.

Many thanks.

Comment

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.