kathryn_brown27

Dark window frames with Oak doors?

Kathryn Brown
3 years ago

I am going round and round in circles and losing my mind!! We moved into our new home a year ago and painted everything Pointing, which is a kind of Magnolia, until we decided how we wanted to decorate.

What started as a simple task of wallpapering the alcoves in the lounge has now turned into something more challenging! All the doors and paintwork in the entire house are stained a dark mahogany colour, in keeping with the outside of the house which has a cottage type appearance, but this tends to make the interior somewhat dark and depressing as it is not a big house. There is also a conservatory on the back of the house which is also in Mahogany. My dilemma is:

Would I get away with changing all the doors to Oak to match the floor and furniture and paint the door frames, window sills and skirting boards white?

Should I paint the window sills Pointing instead of white so they blend into the wall?

I want to keep the charm of the house so don't really want to go with white doors.

Changing the skirting boards to Oak is not an option as the floor is relatively new and to be honest I could not face the upheaval.

I still intend to paper the alcoves and paint the fireplace in a complimentary colour...but that's another story!!!

I probably have not explained this as well as I should but hopefully the photos will help.

I would really appreciate your thoughts and would value any input or suggestions you could give me before I get sectioned!!

Thank you everyone.

Comments (3)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.