webuser_61497225

Furniture layout and size for small living/dining room

Annabelle
2 years ago

Hi everyone. I'm struggling to figure out the best way to arrange furniture (and what sized furniture to buy...) for my small reception room that has to function as a combo living/dining area (rudimentary floorplan section attached). We love to host dinner parties of 6-8 people and - though it will be tight in the space - figure there has to be a way to maximize the utility of the room we have even if not perfect. I would be so grateful if you would share any thoughts you have on layout + furniture size.

In particular, I'm wondering:

• I'm thinking of placing the dining table closest to the wall opposite the fireplace, and the couch on the wall opposite the windows. What do you guys think?
  • Would a 180cm x 90cm dining table be wildly large in the space? Should I stick with 160cm and a narrower table?
  • Is there a style of dining table that might feel less *heavy* in the space? i.e., i love the look of a farmhouse table and bench, but think that might feel too chunky?

Comments (6)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.