mattputt

Help! Layout options for side and front extension, best use of space!

mattputt
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

We are in the process of extending (a joint project with our neighbours to gain an extension to the front box room, then along the ground floor across the front and down the side of the house).

We're having some last-minute layout dilemmas, the floor space isn't the biggest, but we will gain some essentials from it (bigger kitchen, downstairs shower/toilet, office space, porch and the bigger box room upstairs).

Our shower room is going to be fairly slim (worked out as 900x2900mm at the minute). This also creates a slim corridor space beside that leading to an office which I've bumped along a bit to give some more space (sacrificing utility space at the other end, when you compare my Ikea layout with original drawings).

The other option is to access the office from the lounge, meaning we could lose the corridor altogether and widen the shower room, but that would make the office open to noise from the lounge and I think it's a weird place to add a door.

We're also struggling with options for the laundry/utility space too and whether to just include it as an extension to the kitchen. I've added some screenshots and links to an Ikea planner I used to map the ground floor out completely (ignore the colour and the basic mapping of furniture etc. it also doesn't include the pitched roof and Velux windows).

Any input would be appreciated, I'm just looking for layout ideas and tips for anyone that has similar sizing/spacing set-ups. Thanks.

Links to 3D plans:

Screenshot of Ikea layout plan 1...

Architect drawings...
Internal before:

Internal after:

External before:

External after:

Comment

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.