hopingforsunshine

Contractor/builder has no website or listed on trade sites?

We invited 12 contractor/builders to come quote for a full period home renovation we're looking to do. Out of those 12, 7 said they were fully booked for the foreseeable future.

Out of the remaining 5:

• 1st was a no-show.
  • 2nd arrived and left for an emergency after 10 minutes and I haven't been able to get hold of him since.
  • 3rd was highly rated on Checkatrade and had their own website but they don't seem to work on period properties and when we discussed ideas he kept wanting me to shift to ideas I wasn't keen on, refused certain things I wanted (insisted vinyl was more suitable than tiled floors) and was a bit terse. He is also a real pain to get hold of, sometimes taking a week to reply between emails.
  • 4th was a lovely guy and a little cheaper but he's a sole trader who does not have a public profile (no website or on any trades site as he says he's worked in this industry for 25+ years but he gets work through word of mouth and recommendations so has never needed to advertise.) He has sent legit looking photos of previous work which seems to be the style I'm looking for but the lack of a "company" to speak of makes me feel like it's a bit risky.
  • 5th barely spoke English and couldn't seem to get a sense of what I was after.

We really want to get this booked in and I'm leaning towards the 4th person. What kind of things do I need to watch out for before hiring someone without a visible online presence? He has confirmed he is fully insured and provides guarantees for the work.

Thanks!

Comments (8)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.