enembee

Looking for layout experience for a big Vic/Edw semi Renovation

enembee
last year
last modified: last year

Hi Houzzers,

I've just moved into my dream renovation project and looking for layout experience tips/advice before I make any moves. With condemned plumbing and previous use as a commercial business, it needs a total strip out so now is the opportunity to create a layout that works!

It's a great size but long and relatively narrow at the back for the size of the house so creates a problem with flow and usable wall space for cabinetry.

The obvious would be a utility with bathroom at the back and continue through to the kitchen and rest of the house but there are a lot of bottlenecks and kitchen layout issues and this whole section of the house feels quite dark and cold. If anyone can make this work I'd love to know your thoughts/ideas/experience.

Additional space - FYI Conservatory on the plan was opened up as an outdoor shelter when we bought.

I can't afford an extension but I would consider reinstating a conservatory if it was a good solution like https://www.aliceinscandiland.com/blog/2017/03/12/how-to-extend-your-home-with-style-for-less-than-you-might-think.

I'm considering a courtyard in the side return and then a modern side conservatory at the back of the house so that we can have kitchen to diner that looks out onto the garden and doesn't compromise light to the middle of the house. I can't find any examples of anyone living like this - anyone out there done something similar? Will it work or is there a reason no one does this?

Key points - we need a substantial utility for dogs and muddy boots coming in/out, we need a downstairs toilet and we need to keep the beautiful big window in the first 'kitchen' room. I'd love doors/windows out onto the garden if it's possible as it's north west facing so currently very dark and cold.

Constraints are - There are beautiful Victorian decorative tiles in the hallway (that are definitely being kept) and then the red/white tiled floors (currently covered up by commercial rubber flooring) throughout the back of the house. We don't know what condition these are in or if they are salvageable. If they are good then it poses an issue with heating, pipes, cables etc. Also, it's in a conservation area, and we have a small reno pot but not a lot of money so we need to pick and choose now where that will be spent and then save/diy the rest.

Keen to hear any/all thoughts and ideas from you all...

Comments (13)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.