webuser_59731056345

Should I put folding glass doors between kitchen and living room?

Lizzie C
last year
last modified: last year

Hello, I am looking for a bit of advice and inspiration please.

This is the floor plan of my house which I have been living in for just over a year. Its 1980's style interior decoration needs an update which I'll be doing in Autumn 2023.

One thing I can't make up my mind over is whether to put in glass doors between the kitchen and living room. The kitchen at the front of the house is pretty dark whereas the living room is flooded with light as it has floor to ceiling windows, So I think it would be nice to bring in some of the light into the kitchen.

I also want to remove the big store cupboard which is in the hallway and backs onto the kitchen. This would also give a little bit more space in the kitchen. I would have the original cupboard door closed off so it looks like the hall way wall. I'd like to keep the other cupboard as it is massive and great for coats/ vacuum cleaner etc.

Currently there are no cupboards on the wall between the kitchen and the living room - just the kitchen radiator.

The kitchen isn't that big. I was alternatively thinking of a very wide serving hatch with a glass window opening and having breakfast bar type seating beneath it on either side.

It's an ex-council house and feels really well planned out in terms of how the space flows and has a lovely cosy feel.

pics attached of either side of the wall.

I don't have the budget to start putting in steels etc as it needs rewiring, new boiler and I also need to save a bit of money to put a bath back into the bathroom - will be removing the massive cupboard in the front bedroom, blocking it off from the bedroom and opening up from the bathroom side to put a bath in.

Sorry about the long message - I'm not creative so would appreciate any advice or ideas that I may not have considered please.

Thank you.

Comments (6)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.