webuser_71660

New project! What colour goes with red stairs??

Tani H-S
8 months ago

Hi all,
Been a while since we finished our last house and then sold it back in November.
Finally moved in Friday to a new place.... Which is a 3 storey house which has our ground floor flat. Plus 3 other flats in which 2 have been holiday lets.
It's a massive project and so different to our last house, ha ha.
Anyway, we have this wonderful (note sarcasm) red flecked carpet which runs in the hallway main entrance to the top floor.
I imagine it will cost a small fortune to replace it (it's actually in v good condition and has darker flecks in) so I'm looking at making it less like a b&b looking hall by clever surrounding colours.
(I have emailed a company that dye carpets but I imagine this is either also super expensive but no idea what my carpet is made of so might not work).
- handrails are currently ugly varnished brown and this doesn't help. Thinking of using the FRENCHIC trim paint in an off black or charcoal grey? With a varnish over. To modernise it a bit.
Then I want to paint the lower section of the wall which has the nice period wallpaper (the house is edwardian) in a darker colour so it's not just big white walls. It's currently pale grey but I feel it needs a deeper hue and wondering about a really deep grey black here as well? Or a charcoal grey so not black but a medium grey to split the wall up?
What do you lovely people suggest?
Ps I don't like beige tones or yellows/creams. Wanting a modern feel to it if that's even possible with a red carpet 🙄

Comments (38)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.