webuser_490439330

Help with re-designing a semi detached

HU-490439330
3 months ago

Hi,
We are close to completing on a c.1930s semi-detached property and need a clearer view and vision on what we can do to make the best use of the space we have.
Key considerations:
- We like the idea of two separate sitting rooms. We are most likely going to stud between the dining room and living room or insert sliding separating doors but don't mind if this is achieved with only keeping the dining room as separate and having a snug elsewhere. There is a doorway to the dining room from the hallway but it's been boarded over - we will open this back up
- We are most likely going to replace the garden room with a 6x3m extension to hopefully achieve a decent size kitchen diner area with an island. We don't mind this using some of the living room or existing kitchen to achieve, but as mentioned above would like to keep two separate sitting rooms (other than the kitchen) if and where possible
-an extension as suggested above will affect the light and possibly the ventilation of the living room - is it better to take up more space for the dining room and attach some or the living room into the kitchen extension for light and ventilation reasons?
- considering using the exiting kitchen to form a utility room (washing and drying purposes) and perhaps some of that space or some of the extended space to form a small bathroom (toilet, sink and shower) somewhere along the wc wall area due to availability of soil access etc
- if possible it would be great to create a small office as I wfh and this could double as a snug if that works to keep this as a secondary sitting room if needed and when needed
- we would like to do a double storey extension ontop of the 6x3m but unlikely to get the same footprint under permitted development and unsure if we would get a second storey at all approved.
- we like the idea of accessing various rooms via the hallway / separately but do not like the idea of wasted space for the sake of hallways!
We are looking to appoint an architect once we complete the purchase but would really appreciate any ideas or suggestions in the mean time!

Comments (7)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.