lola_odeyemi

1930s semi-detached reno - reception room layout ideas please

Lola Odeyemi
2 months ago

I am about to embark on the renovation a 1930s semi and initially wanted 2 separate reception rooms - the front room for our lounge and the middle room for dining. I have now reconsidered based on how we live and reckon we need a larger lounge - think entertaining, sleepovers and movie nights. Therefore I want to merge the 2 reception rooms (currently separate - see above plan) by taking down the wall between both rooms. I would like layout ideas for the larger, combined reception room - particularly as would not be uniformly shaped as a result of narrower middle room).

Points to note:

1. Front room is approx. 14ft X 12ft (including bay window) and middle room is 12ft X 10ft.

2. Keeping both fireplaces as understand = thousands £ extra to remove them.

3. Wanted to extend the wall of the middle room (yellow highlight) so that it aligned with the front room wall but architect advised that the hassle is not worth the benefit.

4. Also advised that middle room needs to have a door.

5. Need ideas that balance aesthetics, function and costs.

6. Yellow highlight = planned coats/shoes closet/landing pad/storage.

Thanks for reading this far.

Comments (6)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.