gulliverswift

repair or renew?

Penny Holley
last month

I love the old weathered tiles on the roof of my house and the faded oak/western red cedar balconies but the time has come to downsize and sell. My agent and the surveyor say the roof needs replacing as do the balconies which are 20 years old.
Should I take this advice to achieve a good price - as I don’t mind the disruption but a buyer might mind. What materials should I use - one thought is wood and wire balconies - or do you think I could pressure wash and seal or paint to prevent further ageing? If I replace with new wood it will stand out against the faded cladding…

I’ve heard about solar tiles that look like slate but that sounds expensive. The roof does not leak so would someone repair it and give it a guarantee? I have called x 3 builders in next week but then thought of this lovely advice section….. I was looking up balconies and it reminded me.

Any suggestions thoughts ideas for cost effective stylish worthwhile repairs and renewals to roof and balconies. The house is 5000 sq feet so there is a lot of roof. Are costs through the roof nowadays?!

Comments (15)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.