jeannie_nguyen

Foam mattresses. Thoughts?

Jeannie Nguyen
10 years ago
last modified: 10 years ago
Have you ever slept on a foam mattress or purchased one?

Tell us your favorite foam mattress brands and share your experiences. Photos encouraged!

Enhance Queen 2-Inch Memory Foam Mattress Topper · More Info

Comments (172)

• Pat K
    10 years ago
    Bought a Tempurpedic 3 yrs. ago and the verdict is still out. Lower back hurts in the morning. My arms do go numb occasionally. My husband now has hip problems that he didn't have before. I am frustrated.... Is it the mattress causing this?? It makes me sick to think of all that money spent on it and we don't like it. Just don't know what I should do. :- (
  • Pat K
    10 years ago
    Oh and yes...it is HOT. Also hard to turn over in.
  • Related Discussions

Looking for club chair / sofa maker in UK

Q

Comments (4)
    I'm very happy with my sofa from Love your home for less company, they can accommodate different custom size requirements, too. The only thing is, the sofa needs to be seen in person - I went to their showroom intent on buying one sofa, and ended up buying a very different one (which did not look that great in the catalog).
    ...See More

What's the most British thing about your home?

Q

Comments (67)
    To add to my earlier comment, I think my individualism epitomises the very essence of being a true Brit. I'm not a slave to trends, just go with my heart and hope my design ideas will come together in some sort of coherent way. There's pride in that in spades, and we're a proud nation, aren't we?!
    ...See More

POLL: Best bedding filling

Q

Comments (28)
    vv0123, I have two silk duvets. The double was an expensive make bought in a sale - 4.5 tog - light and cool and drapes well, so warm in winter too. I get hot so use it in winter and use a thinner 2.5 tog cotton filled one bought from Lidl in summer. I bought a silk single one for around £50 on ebay but it isn't the same. It's heavier (though the same tog rating) and the stiff cover material creaked when I moved so I had to get rid of it. If you're buying silk go for quality. I also have a thin hemp-filled one from John Lewis, but don't like it as much as the cotton.
    ...See More

Has anyone got an Eve mattress? Any good?

Q

Comments (2)
    I've had an Eve mattress for a couple of years now and it's done wonders for my back compared to my old, awful sprung mattress. There's a few points worth mentioning though: it's quite firm, but unlike a regular memory foam this does not require substantial body heat to shape to the contour of your body. In fact, the final layer of latex actually keeps it from becoming unbearably warm in summer. You can't place it on slats, it smells incredibly odd for the first couple of weeks (if you have a more sensitive nose that may be more annoying), and all in all I would say it's more suitable if you sleep on your back rather than your side as I do, but for how cheap it is, the quality of the build and my sleep has improved dramatically. I hope this helps!
    ...See More
  • Lori
    10 years ago
    Yes and I love my foam mattress! It's so comfy, sometimes it's too comfortable lol
  • downlo
    10 years ago
    We had one - never again and never a mattress with foam in it. It smelled awful, but the worst part was the hot flashes! The "power surges", as my husband and I called them, should have easily put the lights out in Green Bay!
  • Lori
    10 years ago
    I have not experienced the mattress being too hot but then again I am always cold lol
  • Lori
    10 years ago
    It is heavy to move though
  • uberv
    10 years ago
    I bought a very expensive one several years ago. My husband hates it and I wake in the middle of the night with back pain. It was a huge waste of money.
  • ndlptmom54
    10 years ago
    We have an I Comfort now and we love it. I used to wake every morning with a sore and stiff back and hips…no more, and that changed almost immediately so it has to be the bed. We are getting ready to move and will probably buy the king Cloud Temperpedic because of all of the good reviews I have seen here, and friends recommendations. I agree that foam is warmer, and that isn't always a good thing, but I use that as an excuse to turn the temperature down lower. I sleep better that way anyway.
  • annesherwood
    10 years ago
    Have only slept on one as a guest, and I was so warm I was uncomfortable... It might
    be okay in the winter, but terrible the rest of the year.
  • PRO
    roboshopper
    10 years ago
    Perhaps it's the bedding??Further to my comment about my Novaform experience. I use only good 100 %cotton sheets(they happen to be Kirkland Brand from Costco) during the summer and the Fleece Sheets((Life Comfort also from Costco) during the winter as it is cold where I live . Perhaps some are using microfibre or polyester sheets which definitely keep you hot! No body heat escapes at all ....
  • ker9
    10 years ago
    We are seriously considering latex mattress and would love more info on it.
  • ginnym42
    10 years ago
    We bought a tempurpedic adjustable bed[2 XL twins] several years ago before they had the choice they have now. My side was two firm.Still liked it because of the adjustable bed and the way it shapes to my body. I bought a Gel form topper that makes it cooler and very heavenly., like a cloud. They have been the best beds that we have owned for the way they hold up.
  • dayna57
    10 years ago
    Polyurathane foam is made from petroleum and other chemicals and is considered toxic. Many people have actual symptoms from sleeping on mattresses and pillows made from this foam. If you think about how many hours you spend breathing and in contact with a foam matress or pillow, you may want to consider an organic mattress. Even conventional spring mattresses have chemicals and off gassing. Do your research. (I am not affiliated with any mattress or organic product, just want to stay healthy.)
  • lizengland
    10 years ago
    I ordered a 10 inch memory foam mattress from overstock.com and have been sleeping on it for 5 years now- love it, and it rolls up for easy moving
  • PRO
    Total Craftsmen, Inc.
    10 years ago
    We bought a 14" memory foam mattress from Sam's Club for about $600.00. It came rolled up like a tube. We put it on top of our box spring, cut it open, and unrolled it. It took about 8hrs. to get to its full puffiness, but you could have slept on it right away. I love it. We've had it for about 2yrs. now, and it's still like new. I'm a person who's naturally on the hot side, but I don't have any issues with this bed feeling hot at all. It feels quite firm, but it really conforms to my back so that I can lie on my back for hours.
  • elyj
    10 years ago
    I have had one for several years. Whist I agree they are hot, the benefit to my back has outweighed that. I just use lighter to bedclothes, and most of the time that if ok.
  • jgray795
    10 years ago
    On my 2nd TempurPedic. First one lasted over 20 yrs. Cold when you first get in bed, but it only takes a few minutes for your body heat to move thru the foam & then it's toasty. Never needs turned because there are no coils to get compressed of sag. It's the best! They have different densities to choose from. So if you want firm or soft or med. it's your choice. I ordered mine directly from the factory. We took an electric carving knife & cut the old king size one in half to make twin mattresses for my daybed & gave the other half to a young man who had just moved back home so he could have a bed. A piece of 3/4 in plywood for a base & 4 milk crates for legs & he was good to go. The lady from the company recommended do that...her son had done the same thing.
  • lazidazi
    10 years ago
    I'm currently in the market for a new mattress and after much research, have decided on natural latex foam. [Have no interest in synthetic foam - of any kind.] Whether Talalay or Dunlop, I expect they're equally good. Wish those who had posted that they have a Natural latex mattress would have said what ILD # their mattress is, how many layers, overall thickness, etc. I sure don't want to have to return a mattress, but am having trouble deciding on the softness versus firmness decision. I've tried them at the store, but that's not the same as sleeping on it.
  • PRO
    Studio NOO Design
    10 years ago
    We used to sleep on a Tempur Pedic, very comfortable but we had to get rid of it because it was way too hot in summer, like we used to wake up totally wet....now, we have a latex mattress and because it is a natural material it breathes and is sooooo comfortable.
  • ginnym42
    10 years ago
    Must tell a funny story about my 15 yr. old Grandson. His parents bought him a Tempurpedic CLOUD mattress. When he's not home the rest of the family fight over who will sleep on it. My Grandson actually left a sleep over in the middle of the night to come home and sleep in his own bed. The clould is a wonderful mattress.He missed his Cloud.
  • Lynne Biziewski
    10 years ago
    All foam mattresses - whether they sport the often deception label "natural" or not - are petroleum based. Add to that the increasingly toxic fire resistant chemicals that all mattresses have to have in the U.S. - well, do some searches & see how sick some people are getting from these chemicals (I don't smoke, no one in my house does, so it infuriates me that I'd be exposed to these, especially since I have an autoimmune condition).

Anyway, in the past, I've slept (or not slept, depending on my pain level) on a variety of foam and non-foam mattresses - bought from several different places, Costco & Walmart - I'm on a fixed income, so I've never spent thousands of dollars for a mattress. One thing I particularly hated about the foam ones was the fact that it would get a depression rather quickly, and the lack of support would add to my pain.

I've been sleeping on a very inexpensive, but decent camping air mattress for a few months - Ozark Trail. This one, unlike others, hasn't flattened out or even lose very much air at all, even though I keep it filled to a very firm level. This is far from perfect (I hate the dips on the surface - a mattress pad would have helped, but this was supposed to be temporary.

Anyway, I finally decided to make my own organic mattress: Open Your Eyes Bedding has the kits. I went to my local gardening store & bought bags of organic buckwheat hulls for much cheaper than any online price (no shipping) after I made a test neck pillow first, to make sure I would love it as much I did the one I owned yrs ago.

Next, I'll order the fabric from the site - next month (I can afford only a little each month) I'm going to make my own (simple) wool topper, too, with the sewing machine I own but never turned on. Need is overcoming my basic fear of sewing!
  • mousemaker
    10 years ago
    Futon!!!
  • bnmnelson
    10 years ago
    The Temperpedic I slept on was too hot--and I'm usually a cold person. Give me my old-fashioned Stearns and Foster any day, please.
  • beesknees2260
    10 years ago
    We have Stearns and Foster pillow top king but I prefer our old super firm Sealy that is in the same shape it was years ago. We flip both each month. How about pillows. I cannot find a good pillow. I bought memory pillows the last time and they are a mess.
  • kroze
    10 years ago
    Temperpedic makes excellent pillows..... with cool gel..... which I really like.
  • coleenh
    10 years ago
    Just bought a Temperpedic Cloud w about four months ago. Husband doesn't feel my movements anymore. I felt a little warm but adjust the covers accordingly. We splurged and got the adjustable frame - heaven! We agree to sleep flat at night and adjust during day. I try to simulate recommended recliner position from Relax the Back store and it is wonderful for reading and watching TV in bed.
  • sandy505
    10 years ago
    I have sold my Temperpedic mattress. Two issues: it was so heavy for my arthritic hands that changing the sheets was very painful. Also, I like to sleep in a cool room: about 60 in the winter. At that temp, the Temperpedic was hard as a rock.
  • dlc1234567
    10 years ago
    I have to agree with sandy505. The temperpedic was too hard and too hot; too uncomfortable to get past the "break-In" period.

After much research we decided on a talaylay natural latex mini-stack system. LOVE IT even after many years. Expenseive yes, but we don't plan on needing to replace it for many more years.

http://www.foamsweetfoam.com/our-mini-stack-system.html
  • mousemaker
    10 years ago
    no one else sleeps on a futon? I hvent' slept on a "real" mattress for years and years.
    we did concede that putting the futon on top of a box spring would probably help :) but other than that...we are still sleeping on our wonderful futon!
  • feeny
    10 years ago
    I'm fond of futon mattresses too, mousemaker (at least well made ones). They are both firm and comfortable and many people find them good for back problems. We have a futon mattress in our guest bedroom (which also serves as our insomnia bedroom) and on our son's antique bed because a standard full mattress doesn't fit inside the foot and sideboards.
  • lazidazi
    10 years ago
    Over 25 yrs ago I bought a 100% cotton 8" futon, hand-tufted. It was heavenly. After 15 yrs it was too compressed and I went back to a regular spring mattress. I now deserve a new mattress and have been looking at latex, but probably ought to check out futons again, too. It was very comfortable, but it was horribly heavy and hard to move.
  • mousemaker
    10 years ago
    they're much different than the one we had a hundred years ago :) when we were students :)
  • lazidazi
    10 years ago
    Does "much different" mean much better?
  • feeny
    10 years ago
    Definitely! There are many different styles and qualities of futon mattresses these days.
  • bent7anona
    10 years ago
    I am happy to know your websites
  • bent7anona
    10 years ago
    I love decorated so much
  • f1230n
    10 years ago
    Tempurpedic is fine... if you're comfortable or able to pay double to triple what an identical memory foam mattress costs. A few hours of research reveals that memory foam is all about thickness and density of the foam - many of the Tempur models have published layering and foam density layouts that other companies have copied / modified / improved upon. So, you can proceed to your nearest big-box store, lay on all the mattresses to find what you like, write down the model, and start searching for an alternative. I wanted a Tempurpedic Allura in king sizing ($5500+), found how much and what type of foam, found a local mattress shop that sells direct, and bought a Restonic model that felt 95% similar for much less than half of that amount. Been sleeping on it for over a year and there's nary a back-ache. The beds do take some getting used to, but generally offer far-superior support to their spring-laden ancestors, and once you're used to it, oh boy.

Also, to those that think these mattresses sleep 'hot': In the past few years, the memory foam mattress companies have developed a breathable gel foam that is, to my touch, 90% as cool as a spring-mattress with a pillowtop. I'm in central Texas and quite the hot sleeper myself, but some good cotton sheets and a breathable mattress cover are all that keep you from cool, sweet dreams.
  • ldkmoore
    10 years ago
    I tried a memory foam from Costco and it's the only time I woke up with a back ache. I returned it post haste. We now have a Kenko Naturest Mattress Topper and sleep like a babies. We need a new mattress though...we bought a cheapie $400 Big Lot Special and after a year, it sags in the middle. Even with our saggy mattress, we still sleep like babies with our Kenko topper.
  • carafoam
    10 years ago
    Find the best mattress you can, get some great mattress, add to that a bit of late night pampering and hopefully you are on your way to sweet dreams!

Carafoam.co.uk
  • Darrel Austin
    10 years ago
    So much idiotic spam on this site.
  • PRO
    JudyG Designs
    10 years ago
    Just bought two Talalay latex mattresses and we could not be more pleased.
    I did some research and decided this was the best product. You can choose the firmness and there actually is a guy named Chuck who can help you make that decision. I purchased them on Amazon about a month ago. I give 5 stars for quality and service. Read up on Talalay and you will see what I mean.

http://www.amazon.com/Ultimate-Dreams-Eurotop-Latex-Mattress/dp/B008KQ8YZO/ref=pd_sim_sbs_hg_2
  • ducks43
    10 years ago
    Three letters: H O T! Who can sleep comfortably on them? No one in our house. Junked them when it was time for hard waste pick-up.
  • brickln
    10 years ago
    Got a cotton mattress pad for mine- heat problem solved!
  • Radlie Hunter
    9 years ago
    I loved them, but like the earlier comment was joking, I did actually live in Alaska. I was doing an internship with a chiropractor and we even had them installed onto our work beds. No hurt in trying it out.. http://www.irelandclinic.com/services/
  • Bonnie Carroll
    9 years ago
    Bought a foam mattress with adjustable frame at Costco - white glove service had it set up and working In Just 20 minutes. Have slept on it for two nights now - best sleep I've had in a long time! If I don't like it for whatever reason, Costco will take it back - can't get that kind of guarantee with any other mattress.
  • Matt
    9 years ago
    I just got a real wool matress pad for my memory foam bed topper. It's excellent. It's warm but not sweaty. Love it.
  • olldroo
    9 years ago
    And you will find it cool in summer, Matt.
  • myfanwyb
    9 years ago
    We have a Costco Novaform and use a wool mattress pad and cotton sheets with a silk duvet and cotton cover. I thought for the price of the mattress it was well worth a try.

It has been three years and I travel a lot and sleep in lots of different hotel beds. I still come home and really appreciate my bed.

I find it is less pressure on the joints, neither is us move around as much and when we do, we don't disturb the other person. I did find it was too warm with a down duvet or other kind of mattress cover. My husband likes it warm and he is a portable furnace all on his own.

We did have to air it out for almost a week before we could sleep on it after setting it up. It was a reminder that these mattresses are not Eco friendly. Good to set up before you go on a holiday!

I use a Talay foam pillow with a wool cover which I love. This had to be pillow number nineteen in the quest for the "right" one.
  • PRO
    Urban Futons - Dr. Futonberg
    7 years ago

Foam mattresses are great and can be even more comfortable than cheap innerspring mattresses. To understand this a little better, innerspring coil mattresses have to have a certain amount of foam layering over the coils. The problem is that this foam layering can flatten fairly fast on cheaper mattresses. When this occurs, you start to feel the springs sticking up into your back. High quality foam mattresses, especially the ones made by Otis Bed, are made from 2.0 density high pressurized foam slabs of 14 to 16" thick, compressed down to 8 to 9" thick. What this means is that you get a little bit of a rebound or bounce like you will find in a spring mattress. Foam futon mattresses by Otis Bed are very comfortable and will last for 10 plus years with frequent use and will not bottom out.

http://www.urbanfutonbeds.com/Best-Futon-RV-Mattresses-s/158.htm

If you are looking for something more simple, natural and organic. Check out the cotton based organic futons.

http://www.urbanfutonbeds.com/Organic-Futons-s/191.htm

• suziis
    6 years ago
    I love my Casper mattress, I have an adjustable base and was told to not get an inner spring mattress.

The adjustable base + Casper = heaven for me...
United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.