steffie

skirting board disaster/dilemma

steffie
10 years ago
Hi there,

I have redesigned my chest of drawers and am now also changing the floor from (disgusting) green carpet (laid by the landlord... dont ask...) to beautiful tuscany olive laminate :
http://www.diy.com/nav/decor/flooring/laminate-flooring/Colours-Arpeggio-Caramel-Tuscany-Olive-Effect-Laminate-Flooring-12608680

I have a bit of a dilemma now because of the ugly skirting board. Anyone living in the UK and renting will know that the quality in our homes are appalling, any wood (doors, skirting boards, window sills...) are painted over, and over, and over and over and and and... horrible!!
My dilemma is that my skirting boards are attached to the 'frame' of the doors, please see photo attached.

I wont be able to sand them down as it will be hard work, I could use liquid sander prior to changing the floor to avoid damage on my stunning new floor. However, even though I reeeeally want to change the skirting boards (sanding/repainting PROPERLY) I am a little annoyed because they will look great and therefore not match the door frames and the doors (white gloss, with loads of paint layers underneath as they never bothered to sand them down before repainting), you can even see how the paint 'run' when they put too much paint at once. You can even see in one of the pictures how the 'wallpaper' doesn't even reach the floor and they had to stick another 'bit' at the bottom'. Horrible. Simply horrible. Another thing i will have to pay for!

Baring in mind, I am renting and I am the one paying for the new floor (our landlord is great, he has done a lot for us and allowed us to change the floor!) so I want everything to look perfect.

Please help!!!
Steph x

Comments (7)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.