rebecca_toman

Help please! I think I’ve made a huge mistake

Rebecca Jen
25 days ago

We’re finally into our kitchen extension on a house we bought nearly 2 years ago - with hugely rising costs we’ve had to wait to be in a position to start. The width is circa 6m - we opted for wooden classic French doors in the centre with static panels either side (this total opening is circa 4350). The side reveals are 769mm. Now the brick work is up and we’ve seen the reveals we’re worried that they’re too large. We’re total first timers at this and this is one heck of a mistake to make - the cost to change at this point is between £4-6k. Every time I look at them I have a huge pang of anxiety - I’m even dreaming of them. It’s likely a sofa will go somewhere in the space on the right as you look from the house and the dining table will either float in the middle or will be positioned more towards the space to the left. I’d be so grateful for some help with this.

On top of the side reveal issue the walls on the left (from the house) have been built one with the breeze block showing and one without - when we asked they said it was down to building regs as there is a slight difference in ground height in the neighbour’s garden (they’re building a side return and to enable straight walls we’ve landswapped half a foot each at either end - hence the wall protruding into next door) they have said they’ll render the brick to look even on both sides but that was not explained to us previously and not what we wanted - we wanted the reclaimed brick down to the ground as with the wall on the right. I hate to second guess what we’re being told but I wonder if someone knows the answer ? Thank you

Comments (9)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.