milkywayz

Semi detached extension renovation - explain it like I’m 5!

Kay S
23 days ago
last modified: 23 days ago

Hi everyone. hoping to get some advice, as Ive never dabbled in building/renovation before.

our house is in need of major rework. its an old late 20’s old council house. Some damp walls, so guessing exterior may need work. There is already a dilapidated extension with a plastic roof that is broken and leaking. we just use this whole room as storage at the moment and the washer/drier is in here along with fridge.

i’d like to change the right picture to the left picture. I want our kitchen and ”social space” to be open plan. The kitchen is open space shared with a “social space” right now. These measurements are approximate.

where do i start? how do architects work? can i hire an architect to just make plan and apply for planning permission? or is it worthwhile they manage everythjng? or should i get plans and then ask builder to manage? what is cheapest?

i have a feeling the work will have to be completed in phases, due to budget. to start with, we have 60-70k. maybe more.

any advice appreciated! forgot to add, im based in south east not far from london, so realise this will increase costs.

Comments (6)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.