tommyflan

Favourite part of the UK & Ireland?

Tom Flanagan
9 years ago
Sometimes we forget how lucky we are to live in this part of the world - there's so much diversity in scenery across both the UK & Ireland, that we're surely never lacking in choice.

So, from the Scottish Islands down to the Devon coastline, what's your favourite part of the UK & Ireland? If there's anywhere you'd love to be, drop us a comment below!
Cliff House - Isle of Skye · More Info

Comments (44)

• Sarah Alcroft
    9 years ago
    Wales has some of the most wonderful scenery in the UK – I love so much of it (and it's often far less busy than the also lovely West Country)
  • Related Discussions

Are you Houzzing in the UK? Come and say hi!

Q

Comments (134)
    Hello everyone! We have been around Houzz for a while but didn't get a chance to properly introduce ourselves. This is Said from Finite Solutions. We dedicate ourselves into creating the most elegant and functional smart home systems and bespoke home cinemas. Anything that optimise the clients' lifestyles at home and gives them better chances to enjoy their lives, we are there to help! We love working alongside interior designers and architects to implement home technologies that doesn't clutter or obtrude. We would love to help out with any home tech related questions, so feel free to get in touch! P.S: Loving the Houzz! Simply the biggest revolution in home improvement in ages!
    ...See More

POLL: What's your favourite home scent?

Q

Comments (74)
    Bread, bread...! I can't think of anything more homely...! I still hand-keand my sourdough bread and when I bake it I feel there is nothing more delightful in life than my kitchen with my bread and the vision of my family eating it over next few days.
    ...See More

Our favourite beach huts

Q

Comments (14)
    I love Minnie101's photo above although it looks really cold so I would use that scheme if I lived in a really hot place otherwise find a way to warm up the room. Research shows that colour can make us feel 5-6 degrees (Celsius) warmer or colder so beware making the room too 'bright white'. In nature it's the colour of ice/snow etc. What about a sandy colour with bright highlights? Or something more natural like the wooden door and minty green (although still quite cool, better than the austere white. And green is a calmer colour too for a bedroom.
    ...See More

How many houses have you lived in? Which one was your favourite?

Q

Comments (22)
    I'm in my mid-thirties and on house 25! My partner is a few years older, and on his third. Everyone's experience is different! For me, it has to be my current house. It's smaller than every one of my previous homes, was a total wreck when I bought it, has no parking, drained my life savings, had mice, still has a to do list as long as your arm, and has been a massive pain in the b*tt. HOWEVER: it is the house my partner and I have been doing up together, and through which we bonded and got to know each other's strengths and weaknesses. It is the house where I learned to trust my own taste and honed my bargain hunting skills. It is the first place I lived in all by myself, and bought on my own, and it is where I finally learnt to be myself, be confident in myself and not worry about what other people think. It might not be perfect, it might be teenytiny, but House No.25 is my first real Home.
    ...See More
  • Clare Ainsworth
    9 years ago
    Liverpool! Such a vibrant city, beautiful coastline and my beloved hometown
  • PRO
    Katy Galbraith, Mosaic Artist
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    Crieff, Perthshire - beautiful landscape but easily accessible to either the mountains or the cities… btw, our B&B is up for sale if anyone is suitably inspired….
  • PRO
    Katy Galbraith, Mosaic Artist
    9 years ago
    view from our bedroom window
  • Sonia Goul-Wheeker
    9 years ago
    There's a lot of very beautiful countryside where I'm from in Surrey - perfect for rambling country walks and lots of beautiful pubs to nip in for a quick drink en route!
  • Tom Flanagan
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    @Aisling - it looks beautiful! What a picture too - that winding path...

I've never been to most of these places so I'm cobbling together a good list!
  • vicky lee
    9 years ago
    As a Yorkshire woman it's Ilkley Moor. The Cow and Calf Rocks stand high above the town and the view is wonderful. Take a wonderful brisk walk, then it's a cappuccino in the carpark , a pint in the hotel or afternoon tea at Betty's wonderful tea rooms down in the town.
  • vicky lee
    9 years ago
    Same pic but instant gratification
  • PRO
    Sheradon Dublin Photography
    9 years ago
    As a city dweller, the west country mostly Dorset has to be my favourite place. Its the vast open spaces and remoteness that has me returning every few weeks. Recently the coastline of the North Kent coast is also pulling me away from the city but Dorset still wins hands down.
  • hortonhearsawho2013
    9 years ago
    Lakes District! Cant wait to go back there!
    Polperro in Cornwall and Wales
    I like the look of Dingle, Kerry............ might go there next!
  • minnie101
    9 years ago
    So many to choose from! I love the West Country (especially Dartmouth and Blackpool Sands for childhood memories), the Cotswolds, Pembrokeshire and North Norfolk. I am going to give a plug for my home county of Essex though as it's not all TOWIE! It may not quite be on a parr with some of the other places in the UK (depending on what you like) but there is some beautiful countryside with pretty villages and towns on estuaries. Pics are of Finchingfield and Wivenhoe. Dingle looks fantastic!
  • PRO
    Primrose
    9 years ago
    Gunwharf Quays!
  • PRO
    OnePlan
    9 years ago
    Me too - Primrose !! Shopping - then Lunch outside watching the world go by ! Then more shopping !! Bliss !!!
  • PRO
    Primrose
    9 years ago
    Yes! Glad you agree OnePlan. Heading down this weekend again :)
  • PRO
    OnePlan
    9 years ago
    Have fun ! Am 'well jel' !!!
  • Laura
    9 years ago
    I have two; Three Cliffs Bay, Gower and the Brecon Beacons. Both within 30 mins drive and both completely different and utterly beautiful and awesome...
  • Amber
    8 years ago
    How about suffolk for its beautiful picturesque Southwold to pretty cottages in lush green countryside. Norfolk has its own beauty with its coastline and lovely little villages churches and pubs.
  • Tim Price
    8 years ago
    Pretty much the best thing about UK is that you have everything from tidal flats and fenland to mountains all so close together. This (luckily) means you don't have to have just one favourite. I added luckily because I have never managed to decide on my favourite place. I have a list of favourite places, but there are other places I have either forgotten or not seen yet. In no particular order other than roughly north to south:
    1. The wide open spaces with grand views and deserted beaches of the north west of Scotland. Places like Durness, Achmelvich, Ullapool, Staffa, Tobermory. All places that are wonderful in summer, although these are also places that might be harder to be in during winter. I have never lived up here but I have cycled round a few times and also sailed from Crinnon up to Tobermory and around. Magical times.
    2. The Great Glen. Cannich, Oban, Fort William. Again, the views and the fresh air.
    3. Kyles of Bute. Great summers and along with some areas along the coast, not too cold in winter thanks to the Gulf Stream.
    4. Lake District. Sadly a victim of it's own beauty. No longer a secret it gets overcrowded, but not without reason. No point saying why this area is on my list - there are whole book shelves full of books trying to explain that, and even then there is more.
    5. The high Pennines. I guess literary fans will immediately start on about Wuthering Heights, Brontes and Haworth. All good but literature is not a reason by itself to like a place. Many good books have centred on areas you would not want to live in. The Pennines are the roof of the country. Views and fresh air in bucket loads but again, not so friendly in winter.
    6. Whitby and the North Yorkshire Moors. Hardly a nook or cranny I don't know in this area - Growing up in this area I enjoyed sailing and fishing out of Whitby and all sorts of activities all around the North Yorks Moors. Truly stuffed full of history and picturesque villages, both inland and along the coast. Lovely to live and to visit. Great for walking, cycling, sailing, fishing and all manor of other activities and although the moors offer the wildness of open hills, they are not quite as harsh as the Pennines, so a bit easier in winter too.
    7. The Wolds - both in East Yorks and in North Lincs. Less dramatic scenery than the moors or Pennines but great for walking and cycling. There are lovely gems of villages scattered throughout the area. Lincoln is a lovely city with the cathedral and castle at the top of Steep Hill and the Brayford Pool linked by waterways that date back to Roman times.
    8. York. I don't go much for cities but York makes the list. More history than you can shake a stick at and architecture to bring it all to life.
    9. The Peak District. A strange name for an area of mountains that typically are not topped with sharp peaks, but none-the-less spectacular in so many ways. Everything from hill top walks to trips on boats under the hills (Speedwell Cavern) - kind of sounds like The Lord of The Rings in a way doesn't it? The area is a walking, climbing and cycling paradise. It is also very popular for a number of other reasons such as the picturesque villages.
    10. The Norfolk Broads. Again, enough books to fill a library have been written about this area. Cycling, sailing, fishing, bird watching, walking, then over on the coast seals on golden beaches. This area is very soft on the eyes with the Broads enticing you in to live a slower pace of life and the little villages regularly spaced across the area. Cambridge isn't too far away from the Broads for when a larger town is needed (There are others including Norwich that are also good, but Cambridge always feels good) It always feels so relaxed to me, although I do wonder if living here would make me yearn for the hills after a while for variety. Probably a case of wanting everything at once.
    11. Canterbury. Set in an area sprinkled with beautiful villages such as Chilham and with the sea nearby on three sides (Hearne Bay just 7 miles north, Margate, Broadstairs, Dover, Sandwich and Folkestone all only about 15 miles away to the north East, East, South East round to South of Canterbury. East Kent includes so much to anyone, tourist or resident. Canterbury is a bit like York and the Lake District - a victim of it's own beauty and it gets overcrowded in Summer. I lived there for four years, so although this is not my home area I know it well.
    12. New Forest. It always amazes me that this area has survived as it has being so close to London, but it has and you could spend a lifetime exploring all the ins and outs (and Inns for that matter) between here are Weymouth over in Dorset - still close by really.
    So many other areas in UK are worthy of being on this list, from Edinburgh to Holy Isle, Snowdonia, Isle of Wight, Exeter and so on.
    I think that when I move back to UK I should buy a mobile home rather than bricks and mortar so that I can live a short while in each place and keep moving around - if only I didn't need to work!
  • saya85
    8 years ago
    I've been trying for years just to visit different parts of the UK- but it always seems to rain or dip down to freezing on any weekend I try!

I managed to go to Peak District which was beautiful- but recently took a road trip around Berkshire where I live and so much variety in terms of natural scenery and gardens also.

I agree with other comments- the UK really has some of the most varied and beautiful landscapes (Lake District to cornwall! Wales and Scotland and Ireland too)- just wish the weather would remain more constant so we could enjoy!
  • bagpuss2
    8 years ago
    I live in the far north of Scotland- Caithness is the Cornwall of the North. Lots of lovely beaches and harbours and two very different towns. Wick has a marina, while Thurso is a ferry port. Orkney is an hour away by ferry. Driving south to Inverness (2 hours by car, more by bus) takes you past pink sands at Brora (great cashmere shop and Capaldi ice cream); Dunrobin Castle which looks like something from the Loire Valley. If you have time, go for a wee detour to Dornoch- cathedral, antique shops and shopping heaven, or visit the home of Anta at Fearn.

Inverness in a recent survey emerged as having the second best quality of life in the UK. There is the lovely Eden Court Theatre, great shops and a rail link and an airport which can take you there and back to the main Scottis cities in a couple of hours.
    Property is still affordable in the Highlands. People make eye contact and talk. Why live anywhere else?
  • Tim Price
    8 years ago
    Bagpuss2. I haven't been in Caithness for over 30 years. I cycled through on a couple of occasions, the second time being at the end of Lands End to John O Groats. Happy memories.
  • Tim Price
    8 years ago
    saya85, the issue is though that the weather makes the scenery. We have to accept the mixed weather as being part of the deal. By the way, where I am "saya" means "me" or "I". is it from Malay/Indonesian or just a coincidence?
  • emmajoduffy
    8 years ago
    I love my hometown of Lytham in Lancashire and consider myself lucky to live here but my favourite spot this year is Malin Beach in Donegal. After 20 years of annual visits to Ireland we only found this place last month! Beautiful white cobbles that rattle as they tumble in and out with the Atlantic tide. Beautiful unspoilt area rarely visited compared to Malin Head a mile up the coast. I'm wondering if I should share.....
  • travel2cu
    8 years ago
    I moved to the Isle of man 2yrs ago because having spent my early years there I decided it was the place I,d like to retire. I,m so in love with the island and the beautiful scenery. Walk along miles of white sandy quiet. beaches with seals bobbing up to say hello. Never get bored it weaves its magic everyday.
  • saya85
    8 years ago
    Hi Tim- Saya is Hindi/indian for 'shadow'- just a nickname :)

(P.s love the Far East! UK and the Far East definitely have the best of nature !)
  • Sam Hill
    8 years ago
    I like most of it, though big cities and their sprawling suburban council estates are an eyesore.
    I'm in Suffolk and although it's not the most beautiful county, it is peaceful and life isn't too fast. The West Country is too touristy, and personally I like Yorkshire Cumbria Northumberland area.
  • bruket
    8 years ago
    I love all parts of Britain as long as it is close to the sea. The mix of sea and land makes a wonderful freshness.
  • Angie Ashworth
    8 years ago
    In my mind the most beautiful beach in Ireland has to be Narin beach in County Donegal-the Changing colour of the sea and the hills in all sorts of weather never fails to amaze me-come see for yourself!
  • soozmacrae
    8 years ago
    We are lucky to live in such a beautiful country. My heart goes back to where I was born and lived for thirty years, the Highlands of Scotland.
    8 years ago
    Glen of Aherlow, Tipperary is beautiful x
  • leighbee86
    8 years ago
    North Wales, especially Snowdonia and the Gwynedd region for me.
  • Tom Flanagan
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    @TimPrice - you really know the UK! I'll be coming to you next time I'm thinking of doing a road trip :)!

These all sound fantastic - I have to say I'm really keen to head to Wales, I had someone describe it to me as the 'New Zealand of the UK'. Anyone heard this before?
  • David Amos
    8 years ago
    The Northumberland coast, pretty much anywhere 20miles either side of Bamburgh.
    Boat trips around the Farne Islands en route to Lindisfarne; majestic sand dunes; beautiful beaches and some outstanding Fish & Chip shops
  • PRO
    Landscape Design by James Brunton-Smith Limited
    8 years ago

Too many to name here.......we are very lucky

• vanessamr
    8 years ago

The glory that is the Peak District

Wonderful, but then so is practically all of the UK!

• PRO
    Direct Trade Supplies
    8 years ago

Stoke Beach, just outside Plymouth.

Pretty secluded and not many people know about it! Beautiful coves surrounding the beach. Also get seals quite a lot there.

• Catherine Hounslow
    8 years ago

Whats county Mayo like ?My ancestor were from there and I wondered about visiting it.

• bookworm987
    8 years ago

Mayo is gorgeous. Born and bred there, so I should know! Most of the towns aren't great to be honest, with the exception of Westport which is very pretty (if a little touristy). But what you want to see is the coastline. Miles and miles of rugged unspoilt beaches and cliffs. Mayo is the place to be if you like the great outdoors ( and don't mind a little wind and rain.) Visit Achill Island, you won't regret it.

• PRO
    Hand Built Designs
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

The view from the end of our garden- Eastern shores of Lough Corrib, Co. Galway

• Natalie Patton
    8 years ago
    Berwick upon Tweed its blissful
  • Natalie Patton
    8 years ago
    I live in Cumbria it's crazy hearing people say it's one of there favourite places I guess you don't see what's on your doorstep. Berwick upon tweed is the place for me it's blissful I think I see it through rose tinted glasses for sentimental reasons. My family are from Ireland Donegal and Longford so those places for me hold all my childhood memories but the most magical place in the world is London.. What more can you want from a place that Pizza delivered at 4am
  • PRO
    Fantastic Furniture Assembly
    8 years ago

One too many to list. The UK is beautiful!

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.