lisamarie1000

Help with 5 year olds room -paint, wallpaper, overall design and theme

lisamarie1000
We are moving house and we have the chance to do a whole new room for our eldest daughter... Please find attached two pics of the room as it currently is... I'm thinking a feature wall along the back wall? We want wood floors with rugs as my daughter suffers with asthma so we don't want carpets... Otherwise its a blank canvass... My daughter says rainbows, butterflies, princesses and fairies.... I want something that will look fab now but also in a few years when she gets a bit bigger... My imagination is struggling as we are renovating the whole house!!!! Its a big room (back wall 3980mm side wall 3320mm and window is 1690mm) She also loves the idea of a dressing table in the middle of the wardrobes... she is 5!!!! anyway ideas please ....

NK interior design
    Wooden floor should be great. But I'm not sure if any kind of rug is good decision for asthmatic people. May be better to make warm floor?
    Otherwise I'd paint the walls into some bright color (green, lilac, blue hues of purple), some your daughter likes.
    If the bed stays, move it to face the window and there will be enough space for dress table with chair and playing zone behind the window.
    Rainbows and princess you could bring up by pictures or using stickers (for example on the wardrobe doors). Some interesting ideas you can find on wallsheaven.com (houzz).
    The size of pictures you have now is too small to place the way they are. They would look better in groups of 4 or more to cover 60 x 60 cm minimum. So looking for the new ones, it's good to buy 2 - 3 big or 8 - 12 small.
    And full hight curtains make feeling that the ceiling is higher.
    Cathy Phillips & Co
    Hi. Your daughter's asthma should really inform your choices - yes wood for the floor or have you considered vinyl which comes in lots of lovely colours and is warm on the feet. Paint is a consideration too - look into eco paint options as commercial brands contain all sorts of nasties.

POLL: Win an iPad - pick your favourite new product from 100% Design

Voted for the Capside Lamps! They are so original! I would love to put these in a kids room or a sleek white office to add a splash of colour and a different texture.

POLL: Win an iPad Air - pick an emerging brand from 100% Design!

I like the hamajima takuya vases, I find a lot of Japanese pottery is timeless, it goes equally well with antiques or contemporary themes, elegance is a prerequisite for a Japanese potter.

Coordinating shades of white in awkward bedroom - help!

It might look pretty on the pics but to live in such a white room for a long time, would be too white. Although one can vary it with coloured blankets or rugs.

Design help for small kitchen/diner

Thanks for the comments. Ellie the garden is at the back of the bathroom, but remodelling now isn't an option. When I say 'remodelling' I really mean knocking down the bathroom which is the old outhouse and extending/rebuilding, and we just don't have the budget for it at the moment. I envisage that when it is finally done, the bathroom will be smaller and we'll have another living space at the back of the house. At the moment with just my husband and I it would be an office or a dining room, but I suspect in 5 years time a playroom will be the bigger priority! Lisa Glad you agree re cooker placement. Agree that this is the cheapest option, but it doesn't solve my table problem - this is only sorted if I can put the fridge somewhere with the rest of the units. We've probably got £8-10k to spend on this now so I'd rather get it done how I like in one go. As far as I can see, the problem with using the space under the stairs for a table is that no-one will be able to sit at the table directly under the stairs on one side because it's so low, so we have some wasted space with table that no-one can use and the table has to come far further into the room for there to be space for 4 people to sit.
  • lisamarie1000
    Thankyou both - the current furniture/pictures etc is the vendors - we have exchanged but not completed on the house yet... so bed, pictures etc will all go and we have a complete blank canvas
  • lisamarie1000
    We will be re plastering/ decorating (doing all work) before we move in so we will be keeping our daughters away from the smells and dust - our 3 year olds asthma is particularly bad. Silly question but the nasties as such are they ok once painted and dry or can these still cause problems afterwards?
  • mrsmcee74
    How about something like this: http://www.wallpaperdirect.com/products/albany/mazarine/99571

It's got the butterflies she wants and lots of colours you can pick out to use in the room, it's not babyish so should last.
  • minnie101
    http://www.asthma.org.uk/knowledge-bank-indoor-environments I've just copied this re asthma re paint and carpets. I used to struggle enormously with paint when I was younger (I paint a lot now so have built up a tolerance ) but would leave it a good 5 days if not longer with windows open all day where possible. I personally was fine thereafter
    lisamarie1000 thanked minnie101
  • mrsmcee74
    I'm a lifelong asthmatic and can sympathise. Earthborn Clay Paints are meant to be excellent for asthma and allergies: http://earthbornpaints.co.uk/faqs/i-suffer-from-allergiesasthma-will-earthborn-paints-help/
    lisamarie1000 thanked mrsmcee74
    Feioi
    I'm generally not a fan of feature walls unless you're actually making a feature of something. I suggest painting all walls an off white or soft pastel colour in a durable finish then use wall/decals stickers to decorate. They look great and she can have all the rainbows and butterflies she wants for quite a low cost, and they easily peel off when she outgrows them or fancies a change. You can get some lovely ones from Etsy (see below - all images from Etsy). Once she's older the pastel walls provide a perfect background for a cool Scandi look.
  • minnie101
    Hi. I would probably keep the decor fairly neutral with a slight french feel, either a chalk pink or duck egg on the walls which will go with anything. Add furniture in white wood which will grow with her. On the feature wall maybe these fairy stickers from not on the high street. A bedroom chair would be fab given the size of the room, this is from alison at home and is only £125 on sale at the moment. I'd get a chandelier pendant light. Add fairy lights either to the bed or curtain pole. I'd try white black out blinds or striped fabric and either a plain pink, duck egg or white curtain (for decorative use) or something like this from vertbaudet. This rug is from nubie and is washable so may be good for her asthma. You'll need to lower her dressing table (so cute she wants one!), I'd add some 3d butterfly art to make it look pretty for her, these are from Amazon. Maybe some pale pink and white gingham bed linen (if having duck egg walls) and then add fun bits with a fairy/princess table lamp and cushions. Finally maybe some flower fairy art on the walls? This is from flower-fairies-pictures.
  • duffyp2
    Doing this for our 7 year old and she has asked for a garden theme room. Light duck egg blue walls and a feature wall for the bed with bold flowery wallpaper from b&q. White iron bed and white wooden furniture. We've found things like a fake tree with led light blossoms and paired white stuck framed mirror etc. quite an easy theme to fill and keep up with her age we hope!
  • bagpuss2
    Go white as a base colour for the wardrobes and the walls- pale wood flooring, white bed. Keep the fitted wardrobes as they are and have a really pretty mirror in the space between. Really go to town with the soft furnishings which can reflect the changing stages as she grows up. If she is into pink princess look for affordable pink faux silk with beaded tie backs- Dunelm Mill or endoflinefabrics.com have some lovely options. I recently saw a children's version of toile de jouy. IKEA battery powered fairy lights give an instant magic.
    lisamarie1000 thanked bagpuss2
  • dianas1505
    I have just redecorated our spare room for the grandchildren when they come to stay. I painted the walls very pale grey, and put a sticker/transfer on one wall (from notonthehighstreet.com) with a tree, leaves and birds. They do some lovely butterfly ones. I bought curtains online - there are several good stockists if you google 'butterfly curtain fabric'. Her is one possibility from the-millshop-online : https://www.the-millshop-online.co.uk/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/430x/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/b/u/butterflyteal2.jpg
  • FrithRugs
    These rugs are £49 and so wouldn't break the bank.
  • lisamarie1000
    thankyou all... I have been putting some ideas together with her, see attached picture... I know they don't all match one another but you get her ideas... She is adamant she wants the stripey wall paper... I can not work out which wall this is best to go on and also which wall her white metal framed bed with a canopy above it is to go against?... I was also thinking another bed canopy in a corner making a bit or a stage area ... ideally I was thinking of curtains a bed canopy and a stage area all in the same fabric but Im not sure where I would start with this idea... perhaps something like the pictured ready done one may work... I love the idea of duckegg on the other walls and keeping wardrobes white (perhaps with some decals) and the really pretty mirror... maybe its worth making the area in the middle of the wardrobes/around the mirror a different colour or wallpapered?
  • lisamarie1000
    unless maybe I could get away with stripey fabric/curtains/drapes instead of the wallpaper?! Also she likes the tree decals but I don't feel these fit really... I have this great fairy princess kingdom map which will be framed and put on her wall too...
    Hunkydory Home
    last modified: 6 years ago
    We just decorated my 7 year old's room, we did the walls white apart from behind the bed which we painted a bright aqua and used bronze star wall stickers to add some sparkle! She has some pink & purple accessories (including butterflies), but they will be easily updated as she gets older.
    She loves it!
  • minnie101
    Hi. I hope you don't mind me saying but the stage area may be outgrown quite quickly unless you put in a big stage but I'm not sure there's the room. If you do go for a stage, I'd put it in the top left corner as you come through the door with the bed in the right corner with the pink style canopy (which should just fit?). Personally I love the canopy pictured against the wall (you can also tuck drapes out of harms way) and it will grow with your daughter. Your daughter certainly knows her own mind btw! The striped wallpaper would be good on that back bed wall with a canopy. You could mix striped wallpaper with patterned on the other walls if she wants that ie the stars? I would probably try and keep it a little simple though with the feature wall and duck egg on others if you want the room to last. I love the pink and green lights in your pic, maybe someing similar with pink and duck egg? . Maybe try some decals in the dressing table area or go for the star wallpaper?
    lisamarie1000 thanked minnie101
  • lisamarie1000
    Thanks and a very good point about the stage - ok scrap the stage idea - forgetting the stage where would you place her white metal frames bed and canopy ?
  • minnie101
    I feel mean now! Bed on the existing bed wall so it's the focal point as you come in the room
  • lisamarie1000
    no, its a very fair point and I totally agree with you... she was unaware of the stage idea so its easy to scrap it!!! That's where I thought bed to go... glad im thinking something right... my other daughter (aged 3) is the total opposite has requested pirates and dinosaurs... yes she is a girl!!!! however to look at her she is a little princess- loves pink and dressing up and dresses and skirts-not a tom boy at all - however her room she is adamant she wants full of 'scary pirates and dinosaurs!!!' - my husband however has the challenge of doing her room... we have taken a daughter each to do their room - like a competition lol and whoever gets the best room then does our third daughters room lol... hence why im triple checking I get it right!!!!
  • minnie101
    Oh good, I'm glad she didn't know! Pirates and dinosaurs will be quite a mix, I hope she sleeps in there after! It sounds like quite a challenge with your husband, no wonder you're triple checking! I hope you've both got the same budget so no cheating can go on!
  • lisamarie1000
    ive found the canopy after spending days searching... its £125.00 plus postage!!!!
  • lisamarie1000
    actually we haven't mentioned budgets... that's a fair point!!!! we are both competitive so it will be quite a challenge!!
  • lisamarie1000
    actually we have a very pretty play tent which I haven't thought about where it will go in the new house but this could maybe go in Beatrices room and I could tie in the fabric gingham roof with the canopy and curtains? changing the overall theme a lot but I think she would be very happy to change things if she gets the tent in her room.. currently in a play room which all 3 share... may even be able to persuade her to get rid of stripey wall paper and perhaps have framed pictures of rainbows, rainbow cushions etc
    ohpopsi

Hello if you are looking for great feature wall ideas then visit www.ohpopsi.com you have the option of choosing from one of our images (we have thousands) or uploading your own image. Maybe your daughter has a favourite colour/animal etc we can help you make a design that is unique to you. Our friends over a www.dorothyandtheodore.com have some great examples of having furniture, cushions etc unique for your daughter. Have fun with your project!!!!