alihonea

Should I paint my custom, solid wood kitchen cabinets?

Ali Honea
11 years ago
We have lived in our 100 year old home for four years. I am redoing my kitchen and would love a light airy look. My cabinets are custom made by the previous owner and I hate the color of the stain on the solid wood. I don't know what kind of wood was used but the color is awful. As you can tell in the picture, I have a lot of cabinets (27) and drawers (11) and the color of the wood is overpowering! Everything that I've done so far to lighten the look of my kitchen has not worked very effectively and I am stuck. Please let me know if I should take the plunge and paint the cabinets to achieve the look I want. Thanks

Comments (236)

• frani916
    10 years ago
    My Kitchen cabinets were 'pecan' for years and my husband took all the doors off and sanded them in the shed. Then hand sanded the framed but not the inside, I painted them 'vanilla'2 coates and a 3rd with a small roller.
    with brushed little knobs. Everyone says they are beautiful !. very happy with them but it was a lot of work but fun.
  • sherilt
    10 years ago
    No! New counter tops and flooring is all you need! It would look beautiful!
  • Related Discussions

Should I paint my kitchen cabinets?

Q

Comments (159)
    Hi there. Completely agree with everyone, you should paint the cupboards. I really like the colours in this picture as I think that the slightly 'greyer' off white cupboards would tie in well with your beautiful grey tiles. You wouldn't necessarily have to go so light on your worktop as in this picture. The laminate you showed in your third picture is really nice, where is it from? Currently doing my kitchen and trying to find a laminate that I like!
    ...See More

Should I paint cabinets?

Q

Comments (12)
    Hi, I think you should definitely go for it as the kitchen area does seem slightly dark therefore painting it a lighter colour will automatically help create a lighter airer space...an oak worktop would also work well and would tie in with the table... I would definitely go for it... Good Luck.
    ...See More

What colour should I paint walls to match Howdens Cashmere Kitchen?

Q

Comments (46)
    Cashmere popular. Mine being fitted this week. I have chosen real wood worktop and upstand. Plain Glass splashback behind hob and oxide emerald green floor tiles. Just for something different. Walks mmm not sure……something muted. Small kitchen but bright! Ideas… don’t hate me re floor 😳
    ...See More

What sort of floor should I put in the kitchen?

Q

Comments (7)
    All your suggestions sound great, so no help there! I do have porcelain tiles in my kitchen and they are really tough. I think “porcelain” makes people think of delicate tea sets, but it’s baked very hard and not at all delicate. I’ve had mine for 10 years and it’s so easy to look after - hoover and a quick mop. I’m very clumsy and always dropping things which smash into a million pieces when they land on the floor, but floor has always stayed intact. I’ve heard good things about LVT and I have laminate in my living room. It was a quick fix flooring but has fared really well so it’s staying!
    ...See More
  • bears72
    10 years ago
    Alehonea what happened- you said in February you were going to paint and get a professional to do it. Hundreds are waiting for progress pictures if you are still working on the entire project.
  • User
    10 years ago
    They'll look great painted. It's hard painting over wood stain- somewhere we got conditioned to preserve it. What's always worked for me is to go with what I want. Makes me happy and It works out to be the right decision every time. So paint and make yourself a beautiful kitchen! Would like to see some after pictures.
  • PRO
    Nelson Rogers Design
    10 years ago
    If you are DIY kind of person the Rustoleum system does work well - and the glaze will help cover the grain. If you feel that the cabinets suit your needs - painting is much less expensive than refacing or replacing. If you are not a DIY kind of person - you can usually find a local company that specializes in doing exactly that. I have done this on numerous jobs with varying finishes - they hold up well and can completely transform the look. Look on the web for "cabinet refinishing". There are two excellent companies in my area - and I would imagine you can find one in yours. Good luck. PS I have never had a client happy with stripping and staining.
  • PRO
    Faux Illusions LLC
    10 years ago
    fill that oak grain with Durhams putty and sand, prime with Zinsser Cover Stain, two coats paint, I've been using Benjamin Moore Advance, if glaze buy a decent glaze at least $50/gallon. Any glaze that costs less is not worth using. If glazing need to seal, use Satin Varathane water based
  • Allison Read
    10 years ago
    I just had wood cabinets painted because the wood was overpowering and not the light airy look the owner wanted. I contracted out with a pro because he had the equipment and expertise to make them look like they just came out of the showroom. It was a bit pricey but the finish is smooth as silk, factory hard, and much less expensive than replacing all the cabinets. Work is still in progress, but the difference already is spectacular.
  • PRO
    Tile Circle
    10 years ago
    Yes, definitely! They could use come updating. Either painting them white or staining them would be great. It depends on what kind of look you are going for. As Allison said, white cabinets will brighten up the kitchen and make it look airy. Staining them a darker color would also look beautiful. It would go with your backsplash (if you plan on leaving that).
  • PRO
    Creative Cabinets and Fine Finishes, LLC
    10 years ago
    Paint them definately. Looks like a combination of plywood and oak both not the greatest wood for cabinets - maple and cherry would be a different matter - the picture I am attaching is a kitchen we redid from oak to paint. Hire a professional - sealing the grain is not an easy task ...
  • hervery
    10 years ago
    hello there, I can not make this kitchen cabinets but BUTTER ones
  • kathytoo
    10 years ago
    Paint them! Don't listen to the people who act like you are committing a crime against nature or that that wood is no longer available. That is hogwash. I would take out a few upper cabinets too and that piece of scalloped moulding and replace the moulding before painting. It would open up the kitchen and make is so much prettier. The one thing I would keep is the way the drawers and cabinet door inset. So I wouldn't want to replace the doors and drawers unless they could keep the inset look which would be expensive. I love the look of inset doors. You can get rid of those hinges too and they will look even better. Unless you can move the fridge I would build the cabinet out so it comes to the edge of the fridge or just tear that cabinet out entirely. So just paint and please take down a few cabinets. Don't let anyone bully you with the sin of painting wood. Men are the worse about that but uneducated women can be too. Ask any decorator and they would say paint. They just aren't that great and even if they were they belong to you and you can paint them.
  • laurenk71
    10 years ago
    I had simliar cabinets. After 5 years of nagging my husband to let me paint them he finally caved. I painted them a creamy white and glazed the edges. They came out so good, we replaced the counters with beautiful granite. People think we did a complete renovation of our kitchen instead of a facelift...go for it!!!! Make sure you lightly sand and use a good primer before painting:)
  • sondramartina
    10 years ago
    This was posted a year ago. I hope they will give us an update.
  • mouzzer
    10 years ago
    You said it yourself:-) Take the plunge, paint the cabinets and achieve the look you want...via a professional who knows how to do it in order to get the best result.
  • PRO
    User
    10 years ago
    Fine paints of Europe makes a filler for wood with open pores. I would suggest you hire a professional for your project.
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    10 years ago
    There is no contrast in this room. Everything one color. That moulding at top should be changed out take a smile moulding to the ceiling. Remove those lights. Remove window covers. Can you add new counters top. A granite, go the grays and blacks. What kind of ceiling lighting do you have? Add recessed. Can't see appl but all should match. Paint, a soft gray. White pleated window shade from Lowes. Would update your look. Paint or stain cabinets. They are oak and very dated. A dark gray, make sure you buy cabinets paint or it will chip. Lowes carries.
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    10 years ago
    Remove fan. If recessed light not in budget go stainless track lights Ikea has them. Easy to install from fan box. New flooring a dark gray slate or ceramic lay in random pattern. 14-16" tiles.
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    10 years ago
    Use stainless knobs. No gold.
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    10 years ago
    Backsplash a black or stainless .
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    10 years ago
    Are those shutters on windows? If so leave but remove valance. Dated. Nothing over shutters.
  • sierrabb
    10 years ago
    If you want the light airy look then do it. You're the one that needs to love it. I did the same in my last house and never regretted it for a moment. Good luck!
  • PRO
    Sound Painting Solutions, LLC
    10 years ago
    I would paint them as well. Two different colors would look great. Here's a project we did last summer: http://www.houzz.com/projects/327747/Sammamish-2013 . Also, I would recommend conversion varnish over painting them. You can get it made in any color, but it would hold up much better than paint. It is a hard finish. Best of luck :)
  • PRO
    sstarr93
    10 years ago
    The lower cabinets-different color thing is a fad which I don't feel will last very long. The exception would be a kitchen with cabinetry which is varied in design itself, so that the color differences make sense. There are some European kitchens like this. However, stock cabinetry in a two-tone scheme is going to be obsolete soon, IMO.
    Just my 2 cents and worth every penny. S*
  • PRO
    Deborah Roides Interior Design
    10 years ago
    I would go for it. Painting willl truly transform the look of your kitchen. The grain is very busy and eliminating that with paint will give you a less busy and clean look. You could try a color on the bottom and white on top if you want something a little more interesting.
  • omagnes
    10 years ago
    It is your kitchen, so paint it or have it done, but forgive me for saying, get rid of al the stuff on the counter. Good luck.
  • Joanie Rogers
    10 years ago
    I'm just curious...after posting your question almost one year ago.....what did you decide to do?
  • Cheryl Irvine
    10 years ago
    I am curious too, did you paint ?
  • Ali Honea
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Sorry for not keeping any updates. I had unexpected hip surgery right after my post. It was may second hip surgery one in a year and oh boy! This time it really put me down! Had to learn to walk all over again, etc.. Anyways I'm almost 100% so I will be painting soon. I did use some great advice and took the curtains down, removed scalloped molding ( I knew something didn't look right ), clean the counters off (lol), new lighting and hardware. But I'm not posting pics until I'm done ;)
  • carole
    10 years ago
    hello alihonea,good to hear you are back on your feet! and when you are ready we will be here to see the changes made,but for now,look after yourself first...then the painting and decorating....
  • sarabeth2
    10 years ago
    So sorry to hear you had a little health set-back. Sounds like you are getting well enough now to renew your energies towards your cabinet painting project. I will be anxiously waiting to see the results. Don't forget us here on Houzz --- we want to see your beautiful new kitchen updates! Did you say you are having them professionally done or do them yourself?
  • juststaci
    10 years ago
    Paint them. I just chose BM "simply white" from a google, added quartz countertops, and wa-la great kitchen.
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    Nice to hear you are recovering. Take your time, 'you' are more important!
  • Sheila Hanlon O'Shaughnessy
    9 years ago
    PAINT THEM and fast!
  • Sheila Hanlon O'Shaughnessy
    9 years ago
    i dpainted my honey oak with a grey and changed out hardware and I am very happy with finished product! Much cheaper than switching out.Good Luck!
  • PRO
    Studio Dearborn
    9 years ago
    Painted oak cabinets will still show the woodgrain, unlike Birch or Maple, but it will still freshen up the look. You can also replace the hardware and the kitchen will have a totally fresh look. If you are doing this as a temporary fix, then don't be afraid to use something other than white! A pale grey might look really nice if you plan to keep the backsplash.
  • mycroftholmes
    9 years ago

How are you feeling? I hope you're fine. And did you paint the cabinets??!! We need the update! :-)

• add50317
    9 years ago
    Everyone says paint.....but I feel it is a sin to paint wood unless there is no other option. Yes the amount of wood is overpowering, yes you need to paint, but I think u might be happy just painting a little......? If it were me, ditch the scalloped edging, get something more modern. Paint the face of the cabinets 1 color and paint the trim of the doors another. Or if u want to start slow just paint the trim 1st n c how u like it. A very light color. Get new hardware silver would b my recommendation.

The grain is beautiful on the door panels, I would kill for those.....but the drawers r a bit drab so maybe so paint on them. I would hang sheets of colored paper up 1st n c if u like it before u paint.

Love the grain!
  • PRO
    Alex & Lily Home
    9 years ago

The grain is beautiful, but I would paint them white as well. Perhaps even a distressed white to see some of the grain. I also like the suggestion of white uppers and perhaps darker (espresso-like) lowers.

• sheilaskb
    9 years ago

Maybe you could sand and stain the cabinets a white oak that would lighten them several shades. You could leave the interiors the darker color for contrast and put glass inserts in some of the upper cabinets.

• drdeb1234
    9 years ago
    2 year old post Houzzers....
  • chezparker
    8 years ago

You are living in the house, so make it yours....ASAP. "What took Ya so long?"

I had custom maple cabinets that I loved in my old kitchen. When the house went up for sale, every prospective buyer said "Ugh" and they "HATED" the kitchen. We took down & donated a few cabinets (the long stack that closed off the kitchen) then, cleaned (TSP), primed and painted the rest of the cabinets a satin-finish cream color. Replacing a few upper wood doors with glass and new canned lighting transformed the entire kitchen, into a lovely place to gather. A grey granite counter-top installed with a coffee-colored tile back splash brought it from "Ugh" to "WOW"! Hard to believe it's the same floor plan. Now that we live with the beautiful updated colors, it is clear that the update could have been done years ago. When it goes on the market next year (we're downsizing), I'll miss it. Good luck!

• helixg1
    8 years ago
    Have you painted yet? Would like to see pictures.
  • sierrabb
    8 years ago
    I have used General Finishes gel stains on wood projects. I used the Georgian Cherry on a coffee table, and Java for the wood trim in a bathroom. It's so user friendly. It goes on like paint, but has a translucent look that still lets some grain show through, depending how many coats you do. Look it up online, they have lots of how to videos.
  • Ingrid R
    7 years ago

You said " I am redoing my kitchen and would love a light airy look" and that says it all. People telling you to stain them darker are not considering what you want. If you want them lighter than paint them. It's unfortunate that they have that scalloped trim. It seems like most old houses got their kitchen redone in the 90's. If those were 100 year old oak it would be a different story

• ke815
    7 years ago

Paint them!!! They will still be wood, just way prettier!!!!!! Benjamin Moore Advance paint works great on cabinets!

• PRO
    Ellsworth Design Build
    7 years ago
    Old post 2013
  • ci_lantro
    5 years ago

Yes, it's an old post. However, one comment. I'm amazed a the number of so-called 'professionals' who thought those cabinets were oak.

They are not oak. The panels look like fir plywood. Frames and drawer fronts look like mixed woods. Some pine and maybe some oak & who knows what all else.

• pstein15
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

We just custom ordered an entertainment cabinet from an Amish store. My wife wanted it painted gray, rather than stained. It is walnut wood. Painting adds 10 to 20% over the cost of stained. Not everybody prefers a wood look. We have a number of wood pieces and the shades never match. I think my wife got it right.

• A D
    3 years ago

@pstein15 You ordered a piece of furniture made of walnut and then had it painted?

• pstein15
    3 years ago

Well. My wife did. We already had two different types of Stickley wood furniture, and an oak dining set in the open adjoining room. That makes 3 shades. I think a change to painted gray made a nice contrast. Especially so with our gray carpet and gray leather. The natural wood look can be overwhelming.

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.