anthonypkemple

London/Butterfly roof balustrade solution

At the final stages of a loft conversion from a London/Butterfly roof I'm looking for a balustrade solution for the rear of the property (and the properties of three adjoining neighbours). From the photos it can be seen that there is a gulley which is about 40cm wide between the french door and the exterior V shaped parapet. Rather than going for the traditional juliet balcony type steel bar barrier attached close to the french door I would like to be able to access the gulley area and therefore place the balustrade on or against the parapet wall.

To meet building regs, the barrier will have to be at least 110cm from the bottom of the gulley.

Putting glass across the entire length of the gulley (475cm) would be one solution, but keeping the glass clean in the parts that are up against the wall would be problematic, and would require quite a few stanchions

Putting glass in the area that would fill in the V would be a desired solution, but sourcing suitable attachments is problematic.

I'm also looking at wire mesh options.

Suggestions would be much appreciated.

Comments (6)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.