rdjaneball

Reinstate Victorian shopfront or build replica bay?

Jane B
6 years ago
I live in a former Victorian shop, in a former parade, in Walthamstow. Mine is the home on the left, with the light purple door. The shops have now all been turned into either homes or flats - most likely in the ‘70s - if the bay abominations in the row are anything to go by. I would like to improve the frontage through either returning it to its very pretty all-glass original design - see historical photo of the road - or build a Victorian bay mimicking those of actual homes further up the street. However, I’m struggling to decide which is the best option - if either. In my gut, the shop front option seems most sensible as restoring any heritage building to its original form sits best with me. I would add shutters to ensure privacy. However, I feel that building a bay would make the indoor space feel more homely and improve its saleability in the future (though I’m not planning on moving any time soon but it’s good to keep in mind). It’s probably also worth mentioning, no-one else in any of the neighbouring homes have done either of these options and from speaking to some neighbours seem unlikely to. In that respect, perhaps it’s not worth doing at all? Any advice, ideas or even examples would be very gratefully received. Many thanks in advance, Jane

Comments (3)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.