webuser_768402840

New Kitchen, creating an open diner by taking down the wall

HU-768402840
2 years ago

Dear All,

Just bought a house that is need of a complete refurbishment, lucky me, it’s also going to be my first home

It needs a new kitchen, pics enclosed are self-explanatory. My plan was also to knock down the wall between the diner and kitchen, to create an open diner.

The building survey advised me to put up a supporting beam. Cut and pasted that below

“There is no masonry wall directly above this area however, there is a masonry wall separating the bathroom and bedroom, which is approximately 1.0 m away from the lower masonry wall in question and if the wall is removed, a supporting beam will be needed in this location to prevent any downward settlement of any of the internal walls and floors above”.

However the structural Engineer says this is not required, which was a little confusing. His opinion is cut and pasted below

“We do not consider the Surveyor should have commented on this area as this is more of an engineering function.

We checked floor joists at first floor level, and they ran from front to rear consequently there is no load from floors or imposed loads from floors onto the dividing wall.

The wall at first floor level however is a masonry wall consequently if the wall is to be removed between the kitchen and dining area, we would advise a steel beam is incorporated beneath the remaining wall at first floor level in accordance with current recommendations for adequate support of the first-floor area”

Any advice on how to go about a new kitchen. Is it better to get a local tradesman to do it, or hire a big company? Anyone has taken such walls down?

Any advise would be much appreciated

Kind Regards

Mel

Comment

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.