damiang666

House renovation - can't decide what improvements to make

damiang666
2 years ago

I have a 4-bed end terrace where one of the bedrooms is in a loft conversion without a bathroom.

I've had three main improvements in my mind but the cost of doing them all is just too much.

• Adding a bathroom to the loft plus adding insulation as there isn't any
  • Extending the main bathroom into the rear bedroom to make it more spacious - it's really tight
  • Adding a rear extension - 3*6 which will make for a better sized kitchen and dining area.

The bathroom in the loft is going to cost about £15k because it has to go along the far wall opposite the stairs due to very restricted head height in the area by the stairs which is where it should go (above the main bathroom). I also need a boiler upgrade as my open-vented system will mean no water pressure otherwise.

The rear extension costs what it costs - foundations and bricks etc - quotes are around £55-60k plus kitchen, flooring etc. The wall between the dining room and kitchen would come out.

Extending the main bathroom seems sensible as it's really cramped - that said it *could* just stay as it is and have a basic refresh. This is about £10k

The above is on top of actual essential work that had to be done which has cost maybe £15k so far.

There are also other jobs like skimming ceilings and walls, electrics (not too bad) and new rads.

The extension was what I really wanted to do - I would like a decent cooking space and it would get a lot of use - not just look nice for show.

The bathrooms seem essential too - people say make sure you have a nice bathroom - and the one in the loft, well it seems you can't not have one for future sale of the house - is it that big a deal?

So, question is, where do I skimp to keep costs down? I guess there might not be any answer as such as it will be what is a priority to me but I can't quite make my mind up.

Comments (12)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.