webuser_761318615

First House Renovation - Guidance Advice Needed Please

HU-761318615
last year

Hi everyone,

This is my first time posting here.

I am looking to buy a property in the Midlands area not far from where I currently live. It's a 3 bedroom terraced house.

This will be my first time taking on this sort of project.

The aim is to do it an live in the house after.

Looking at the sale price of the property if I were to refurb it I am confident I would make my money back once it came to remortgaging.

My budget is £50,000.

Looking at the property there are something I know are needed for sure:

Internal Wall insulation on the external walls

Central heating installation

Possible re-wire

Insulation in the loft.

Look's like there's a condensation issue ( I had this in a previous property that was solid brick and installing a PIV seemed to fix the issue).

Double glazing through out.

Walls skimming

New Bathroom and Kitchen

I have attached some picture and will be viewing the property for the first time this Saturday.

I will go into the loft and take photos of the roof and speak to a builder for their opinion on regards to the state of it.

My plan is if the viewing doesn't show any massive issues I would go for a full structural survey to hopefully point out any major work that is required.

I feel if they say it needs a new roof and says he rising damp by budget wont work. But hoping if it doesn't my budget will work. This is where I am looking for guidance. Am I being unrealistic.

I plan to do as much work as I can, be in clearing the house. I am happy to go all the painting etc. For the Bathroom and Kitchen I will source all parts myself and then get a pro in for installation. I have done this in the past with success. I am also a designer so I can visualise the whole renovation so who every is carrying out the work will know exactly how I want it to look.

My only other pondering if whether as I plan to live in the house to put the bathroom upstairs and make the kitchen bigger. I know it will make it a two bed but I have found (if I were to sell it) people are put off by having a downstairs bathroom and no upstairs toilet. Or is this just a bad idea?

Again any guidance would be greatly appreciated. Last thing I want to do is take on a project I cant afford and want to do as much due diligence as possible.

Many Thanks.

Comment (1)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.