jessica_ferns

Can I build a wide, deep shelf here?

Jessica
last year

Hi there,

We have this space in our bedroom which is currently occupied by IKEA Malm drawers and our TV on top. We’re going to remove the drawers to put in a small desk for my husband to work from home.

My issue is where to put the TV…

I would like to have it in the same place on a shelf high enough out of the way of the desk. However, the TV is too wide to go in flush and has to be positioned like in the photo, diagonally. As a result, any shelf would need to be as wide as the top of the drawers (80cm x 48cm).

So the question is - can I / how do I build a large, deep, wide shelf?

The other concern I have is that on one side is a wall, and the other side is the wardrobe which is built in (photo of the back of the wardrobe attached). I feel that a shelf this wide would need support on three sides, not just on the back side like a floating shelf.

I love DIY and am okay at it (😆) but I’ve never built something from scratch.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Also, if this is something to put in the “too difficult” box, I can just sack it off and mount the TV on a different wall 😂 I just would rather not!

Comments (4)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.