sarah_mcn

Help with patio dilemma

Sarah R
last year

We are in the process of having an extension built on the back of our house. The extension will have 2 sliding doors which will open out onto a north facing back garden. The garden drops down away from the house so we were going to build a patio up to the house approx 2.4m deep with a step down to the lawn.

We can’t build as high as we thought as there is an air brick and 2 bricks below the sliding doors we need to build below. Also because of the damp proof course.

The paver has suggested a step down to a raised patio area and then another step off the patio onto the lawn. It isn’t what we wanted but need to think about how to work with it

My dilemma is:

• the patio is north facing so can’t imagine it will be used for seating much other than a corner which faces east. We have another area at the bottom of the garden for sitting on when the weather is bright.
  • the width of the step will match the doors so will take up a lot of room.
  • a step outside of the house and then another down the the lawn seems a lot of steps.

Questions are:

• can we do anything so that we just step down onto a patio rather than a step?
  • if we have to include steps should we just go to the ground and build a patio at ground level?
  • any other advice which may help?

Many thanks for your help and advice

Comments (7)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.