emmelinewe

POLL: Gas or induction hob?

Emmeline Westin
9 years ago
We know Houzzers are passionate about their kitchens and we suspect you might be vocal about your hob choices, too.

So let's do this, which one do you prefer for your kitchen - gas or induction hob?

(As someone who grew up with a sad electric hob, I give both thumbs up!)
Gas
Induction
Something else - please share!

Comments (52)

• alant1000
    9 years ago
    I've got an induction hob but actually I prefer gas.
  • PRO
    Razina Bargit
    9 years ago
    I learned to cook and grew up using a gas hob. I recently started using an induction job and can't believe how much bad press they get for being slow.
    They're a dream to clean and much safer, and not at all slow.
    Am I too spoilt to ask for both in my future kitchen?
  • Related Discussions

Induction or Gas Hobs?

Q

Comments (4)
    I am such a convert! The induction gives just as much control as the gas used to, and only one of my pans didn't work and it wasn't a hardship to get a new one. The safety factor is hugely higher, not to mention easier cleaning! Yes, it was expensive in comparison, but I absolutely love it.
    ...See More

Need help with induction hob!

Q

Comments (7)
    This is a common problem with induction hobs i.e. They are too deep for a 30mm worktop with an undermounted oven. Personally I'd steer clear of the cheaper brands of induction hobs. I have a Bosch induction hob which is good but the AEG I had before that was better. The glass top on the Bosch marks easily. I'm also a lover of Neff products. Have a Neff oven.
    ...See More

Induction hobs

Q

Comments (10)
    I went from gas to hob and overall I have been please with it. The cleaning issue far outweighs some of the minor changes I have had to make to my cooking methods. My hob goes from 1 to 9 with a boost for quick boiling of bug pans of water. Any cooking you're starting with an empty pan but want the pan hot before you put food in, eg stir frying (or pancakes) you meed to heat the pan to say number 5 and then increase up to 8 or 9 for stir frying. It's not good to heat any pan from zero to hero very quickly! For pancakes I go from 5 to 6 or 7 and then back to 5 or 6. Even with gas you have to get the pan hot enough but not too hot for pancakes. I have a Siemens hob, and one of the best features is that you can join 2 zones together for larger pans. I don't regret going from gas to induction and I cook a lot.
    ...See More

Anyone got an induction hob and cook with cast iron on it?

Q

Comments (15)
    Ah Carolina that's the first time I've read someone saying they miss gas! High pitched noise would annoy the hell out of me. And we will have a flush ceiling extractor (Westin stratus) which apparently works slightly better with gas. Hmmm. What make is yours? OnePlan, I know my flaws, I am lazy so would either skip the j cloth (risky) or leave it on the hob all the time to avoid getting it in and out of a drawer each time (not pretty). I was expecting replies saying it's not a problem! Maybe gas is best for us after all. Just feels a bit... unmodern??
    ...See More
  • Barbara Craig
    9 years ago
    In an ideal world where I don't have to do any cleaning - both. Gas superior for frying/sealing meat, but then the cleaning :(
  • Sarah Dixon
    9 years ago
    We have always been avid fans of gas but chose to put an induction hob in when we had a new kitchen back in June- and we would never now go back to gas...

You have all the benefits of cooking on gas with the added benefits of far more control, the very quick "cold to boil" features and the cleaning is very easy. All our friends and family who have been round and used it have commented on how brilliant it is.
  • Luisa Rollenhagen
    9 years ago
    I prefer gas, because I feel it's easier to control the heat level for searing, simmering, etc!
  • PRO
    Jessop and Cook Architects
    9 years ago
    Induction hobs are great for cleaning and ever day use, but the magnetic fields they use have the potential to interfere with medical implants such as pacemakers and insulin pumps.
    Something which should be considered before buying if you or your family and friends have one fitted. Its worth checking the manufacturers guidance before buying.
  • jacksplash
    9 years ago
    Just put in induction hob in the last few months and find it great. I had gas many years ago and also found it good,so maybe a vote for both!
  • PRO
    Hale and Murray Ltd
    9 years ago
    If you buy the right induction hob, it is quicker and had more control than gas. You can melt chocolate in a saucepan if you so wished. They are cleaner and safer to use.
    Yes they have magnetic fields but so do sliding doors into most shops. It pays to check with the manufacturer of the hob and also your consultant, but I have sold induction hobs to customers with pacemakers.
    Saucepans have come down in price, some manufacturers offer a free set when you purchase their hob. You can also buy pressure cookers, griddle plates, roasting tins, etc to use on them now.
    I had one until I moved house and for the time being I have to put up with a slow, labour intensive gas hob!!
  • standroid
    9 years ago
    Gas hobs look dated now and are a pain to clean. Induction is cheaper to run. Good excuse to bin horrible old pans and have some new ones. No brainer.
  • dikiz
    9 years ago
    induction,switched from gas 2years ago
  • PRO
    Julie Sheldon
    9 years ago
    It may be me,but I prefer the taste of the food from a gas hob. I do prefer the induction for cleaning purposes though and how quick everything heats up.
  • pavinia
    9 years ago
    I don't trust inductions - they don't feel real. I like to be able to see the flame and quickly adjust it when I need to.
  • User
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    I agree with Pavinia - I need to see the flame to believe it! Though the easy cleaning of induction hobs is very tempting...
  • Sam Hill
    9 years ago
    Induction is not very responsive. Also if you have gas pans (curved on the bottom) they don't work on induction.
    With gas, either curved of flat bottoms work.
    But gas is harder to clean.
  • PRO
    Adaliza
    9 years ago
    Definitely gas every time and cleaning is no problem if you use a steam cleaner!
  • Average Jo
    9 years ago
    The gas flame is so intuitive. I do like that. And it's a small, strange point but I have a bit of a thing about cutting down on the number of shiny black void surfaces in my home.
  • oirishgal
    9 years ago
    We chose induction because the gas company wanted to charge us a fortune for piping gas into our home. We love induction. Also, we only have one bill ( electricity), as opposed to gas and electricity.
  • PRO
    Anthony Edwards Kitchens
    9 years ago
    We have had positive feedback from our customer. We always advise pay close attention when first using an induction hob, they come to heat fast, much faster than gas !
  • PRO
    Anthony Edwards Kitchens
    9 years ago
    other points are they are energy efficient, have a discreet look, and they don't get left on. But as hinted at above we have had customers burning things in the first couple of weeks.
  • telabadmanwot
    9 years ago
    gas. I hate cooking on electric. but electric looks better.
  • teenytinyhouse
    9 years ago
    My BF has a gas hob, and swears by it. But cleaning it is an absolute nightmare and takes the best part of an hour to do properly! I have an induction hob. Just as reactive, sleeker looking, cools instantly and with a quick wipe of the microfibre cloth, it's sparkling clean in seconds! It's a no-brainer as far as I'm concerned!

Only pain is that I had to chuck and buy pans, as they need to be magnetic. Did raise a chuckle in the shop, though (in the days before they were clearly labelled) as I was wandering about tapping a fridge magnet to all the saucepans!
  • macmuser
    9 years ago
    Induction slow? Rubbish, just like the induction hob that you used to judge them slow. Far more controllable than gas from a huge amount of power to boil water quicker than a kettle, down to a tiny trickle for leaving stocks on all day. When I make jam I know what 'number' to leave the induction hob on so I can walk away and do something else for 15 minutes while the jam reaches the setting point and doesn't burn the bottom of the pan or boil over. Try that with gas.
  • PRO
    Homejoy
    9 years ago
    If you prefer your gas hob but have trouble cleaning it, these tips might help:
    - Soak removable parts overnight to make them easier to clean the next day
    - Use a Magic Eraser to remove dried spills
    - Use a stainless steel scouring pad or scrubbing brush to remove burnt-on food (unless your hob surface is easily damaged, in which case avoid abrasive tools)
  • PRO
    Aflux Designs
    9 years ago
    I would say it depends on the user. I don't cook much, but my clients prefer gas hobs. more flexibility, and there are simply more pans available. However some people prefer aesthetic to function, and they prefer the flat, clean minimalistic look that induction gives you (and yes easier to clean). However, also note the induction pans are expensive!!! Given all this, if I was refurbishing my own place, I would play safe and go for gas
  • PRO
    Aflux Designs
    9 years ago
    apologies - noted that the picture has no hob, but a sink! (equally valuable in a kitchen I might add!)
  • macmuser
    9 years ago
    Aflux, why do you say induction pans are expensive? Apart from the trashy, very cheap pans, nearly all are induction-friendly nowadays. Ikea do a range of own brand pans, as do Robert Dyas. Meanwhile on Amazon I see a set of 5 Tefal induction-safe pans for £36. Personally I like Circulon brand because they are excellent quality and their life-time guarantee is honoured by the manufacturer.
  • pilarj
    9 years ago
    After years of gas hob (Smeg) we now have an induction hob and I LOVE it. So much better then gas, more sensitive/reactive, easier to regulate, safer, so many more options linking timing to the hobs; and yes so much safer & easier to clean. Yes I did have to replace a few pans but I would never go back to gas now!
  • Tom Flanagan
    9 years ago
    Induction! I've got a gas hob and it scares me a little...
  • PRO
    86 Baily
    9 years ago
    Would have to say gas all the way
  • Susie
    9 years ago
    I like my induction hob for all the reasons mentioned above, but find it frustrating that you cannot tilt a frying pan(you need to maintain contact with the cooking surface) when cooking an egg to keep it in a small area, or to baste it with hot fat. The ease of cleaning more than compensates for this though. One other point I feel the heat is more concentrated on the base of the pan (gas spreads up the sides of the pan) and I have had a few burnt batches of marmalade.
  • macmuser
    9 years ago
    When I make marmalade I keep it on maximum (not boost) stirring all the time, until the setting temperature is reached, then turn it to 70 or 80% to reduce the liquid if there is too much. That's the point I can walk away and know it won't burn. I've had two induction hobs and both were the same for cooking although I have to say the lower cost Zanussi had more scratch-resistant glass and better controls than the expensive Bosch I bought recently.
  • PRO
    Winchester Kitchens
    9 years ago
    Induction hobs are certainly the way forward! Approximately 80% of our clients now choose this way of cooking. Instant control, easy to clean and looks sleek in any kitchen. This new Miele model even incorporates a wok solution.
  • philip mills
    8 years ago
    Was not sure about induction before but now wouldn't be without it just brilliant so responsive you can watch the boiling water go to simmer. One wipe and it's clean were as with gas you've all the pan supports and burners to clean
  • User
    8 years ago

Who couldn't love gas on a lovely range like this? Cooking is an art and "live fire" is essential to the human soul.

• PRO
    Adaliza
    8 years ago

I've just found my comment from February 2015 - I voted for gas. Then late last summer I found myself passing a John Lewis of Hungerford showroom and an ex-display kitchen quite literally flew out of the door, shook me by the shoulders and shouted 'BUY ME, BUY ME'! So I listened and I did! The kitchen came with a Neff induction hob so I thought I'd give it a go - with deep scepticism. Within one meal, cooked by induction I was converted! It's a breeze - so incredibly sensitive. Much more sensitive than gas - and FAST. I love it and would never have considered it as an option for me, having loved gas hobs forever. My vote's now changed - induction hob for me!

• Jonathan
    8 years ago
    I have an induction hob. It is useful as it is an additional flat surface in the kitchen but I just don't believe it is as fast as gas and frankly I don't like it as much.
    However the more we use fossil fuels the faster they will run out so we may all have to have induction in 40 years time.
  • PRO
    Dajon Interiors Ltd
    7 years ago

Induction hobs outselling gas hobs 10 to 1.

Clients love the flat surface, easy to clean and look nicer.

• PRO
    McEvoy & Rowley
    7 years ago

We've seen a big increase in sales of induction hobs, very popular with our customer base. They're easy to clean, super responsive and their sleek look is a big selling point too.

• PRO
    Illustrate Kitchens Limited
    7 years ago

Gas all the way!!

• PRO
    Acre Design LTD
    7 years ago

I like the immediate temperature control of gas.

• Mr T
    7 years ago

Do you still use gas for lighting and running your fridge? Are your kitchen floors still hard-packed dirt, with wattle and daub walls? The reason they aren't is because things have moved on and far better options are available. Until you actually use an induction hob you will never realise how silly it sounds to say gas is more controllable. The only thing gas has going for it is that the hobs are cheap. Otherwise they are wasteful of heat, expensive to run, dirty and lack the controllability of even the lowest cost induction hob.

• Daisy England
    7 years ago
    Induction without a doubt. On my second. I'd never ever go back to a dirty gas hob.
  • PRO
    CONSTRUCT A SPACE LTD
    7 years ago

I totally agree with Daisy !

• PRO
    Pamela Langbridge Curtains and Upholstery
    7 years ago

Just had my kitchen redone and love the induction hob. It heats up and cools down so quickly. I do love my Aga though. Never had gas. The pain is having to buy pots and pans suitable for induction

• Mr T
    7 years ago

Induction-safe pots and pans are low cost and available from Ikea, Dyas, Aldi and Lidl. On Amazon you can buy a complete set for £35. My preference is for Meyer's Circulon which seem expensive (good discounts available on the Web) but they come with a lifetime guarantee that Meyer honour if you send a photo of the pot and damage. Which is only, in my experience, the gradual loss of non-stickiness over 10 or 15 years.

• teenytinyhouse
    7 years ago

Winchester Kitchens you have made my day, I didn't know you could get an induction wok solution! Happy days, there goes my partner's final objection to induction, lol.

• PRO
    Langtry Fitted Furniture
    7 years ago

Induction for sure......Speedy Like Gas, Controllable like gas but a LOT easier to clean as opposed to a Gas Hob!

• HU-604886879
    4 months ago

I love gas, it gives you great control, my food is so much better, less burning, better crusts on steaks... and gas and copper are increadibly fast to repond for delicate sauces - something the induction pots and pans I have used so far just can't match. Add to that, gas works when there is no electricity - a problem where I live - and is incredibly inexpensive compared to electricity. I grew up using gas, and I was soooo jealous of all my friends who had electric, until I finally got electric in my first home. it was TERRIBLE! Jealousy gone, I spent 15 years in agony in the kitchen until I could aford to go back to gas. Now, with induction, it is faster to respond than electricity, but it still requires electricity, and I'm still dealing with the learning curve. It is easier to do a wipedown from simple, non-technical cooking, but you have to be very careful, as the glass tops scratch, and are fragile and much of my beautiful cookware is useless - my heavy cast iron scratches, and can easily shatter an induction top and my lovely copper cookware doesn't work on induction. So, I vote for both. A couple of induction burners for what it does best, and using my multiply stainless steel, and for quick cleanup and gas where it excels.

• Jonathan
    4 months ago

I have just seen my comment from 2016. I would never go back to gas now. The idea of burning a fuel in the air you breath seems so counterintuitive. And I much prefer the look of a flat induction hob.

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.