searchingforahome

Building a master suite---should door come off living or dining room?

Hello, I'm turning a bedroom and hall bathroom into a master suite by closing off some walls in the existing floorplan and need some advice on where to put the entry door. The bedroom is at the front of the house and access is via a hall that has openings onto the living and dining room. By closing off one of the access points I will be able to build an extra closet in the hall. If the entry is in the living room, there will be 2 smaller closets. If the entry is from the dining room, I can make a single larger reach-in closet. Overall I estimate that the closet space gained will be the same, it will just be distributed differently.

My inclination is to have the entrance off the living room since it will be used less than the dining room (there's another main living room to the right of the dining room that will be used more). The disadvantage would be that I would have 2 smaller closets and it might require more searching to find things if I don't remember which closet they are in. I prefer the closet organization with the dining room entrance, but I don't feel like a master bedroom should come off the dining room.

Any thoughts on the best layout and what might be more preferable for resale value? I've included a drawing of the general layout, not to scale.

Current layout (kitchen below dining room, another living room and other bedrooms to the right of dining room):

Entrance from dining room

Entrance from living room

Comments (14)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.