kate_renouf

Sealing a screed floor - I KNOW IT CAN BE DONE! - but how?

Kate Renouf
3 years ago

We are renovating a modest house in Jersey in the longest running, over budget project known to man (2020 was not the year to do this). The look is quite raw - bare granite, concrete lintels, plywood stairs & upper floors. We are finally about to install the ground floor windows, after which the screed for the g/f is to be laid. It includes underfloor heating.

We have no particular desire for any specific look for the g/f, and have some friends here whose house has a floor of screed (made with white plaster) that was treated with something (they've forgotten what) about 12 years ago and has weathered very nicely. It will do us fine and we are trying to find someone who is happy to go with a waterproofed screed instead of steering us towards polished concrete or microcement or resin, all of which will be an extra cost on top of the screed and seem unnecessary. We've talked with the builder about various mix and sealing options - the latest suggestion is a non-yellowing polyurethane coat, which I'm hoping to try out, but it's hard work trying to encourage people to give it a go.

So my question is, is there anyone who has retained a screed floor without covering it up, and are there any suggestions for sealing it?

Thank you!

Comments (2)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.