chris_tomlinson49

I want to add add another bedroom to my 2 bedroom basement flat.

Chris Tomlinson
11 months ago

My flat is large by london standards (1020 sqft / 94.7 sqm), but it has only 2 bedrooms, whilst it has a massive kitchen and living room. I would like to halve my kitchen and create another bedroom with the other space. However, I'm not sure what the best approach is.

This is the current layout.

This is a plan of pushing the kitchen back to the edge.

This is an alternative plan that places the kitchen in the middle, closer to the hall.

Both ideas will need to have either a door or wider space knocked out from a supporting wall.

I've also considered moving the kitchen and living areas to replace bedroom 1 and 2, and knocking the wall out between them, because it would be nice to link the egress onto the terrace from an open plan living area, but I haven't been able to come up with a way to do this so I can combine a kitchen with this space, and certainly not so that I end up with 3 bedrooms at the end.

Any advice on this would be super helpful. I'm not convinced either ideas will be great - having a bedroom open into a living room isn't ideal, but having a galley kitchen open into a living room kind of messes with how that living space can be utilised well.

Comments (8)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.