earl_locker

Roof Lantern - Steel Beams and Goal Post Needed?

E L
11 months ago

Hi All, I am wondering if you can help me.

We have had our structural calculations back for our project and the suggestion has been for the flat roof exestension to have steel and a goal post over our back doors to support a 3.2 x 1.8 lantern as per the image below.

Design

Structural Drawings

This is a lot of steel which is pushing our budget out so trying to find ways to reduce the amound of steel. The suggestions have been

1) Move to flat 4 roof lights which will remove the need for all of that steel and goal post at the back of the house.

2) Make the door smaller so that the steels holding up the roof light can rest on brick.

we really dont want to make the doors smaller and really want to stay with the roof lantern if possible so just wanted to check if in past experince people have seen steel used to hold up roof lanterns or have doubled/tripled up timbers been enough? I have checked the spec sheet and the weight is roughly 200kg

Comments (4)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.