rhiannon_armitage

Help with our floorplan and extension!!!

Rhiannon A
3 months ago

Hey everyone,

My partner and I have been long planning and saving to renovate our 2-bed semi-detached bungalow and turn it into a family home with a social kitchen, a laundry area, better access to the rear garden and a place to store coats/shoes etc as you come in! We look to cook and entertain, and we are keen DIY'ers happy to get stuck in too!

We live in the UK and finally managed to get our extension through planning permission but in the time it has taken to do this, the quotes to do the extension are over double and we can't afford it! We are now trying to come up with alternative ideas! Below, in orange, you can see the shell we have approved and in grey the original house/walls. Originally we were going to knock the current kitchen into the extension to create one big room, with a separate area as you come in for a bench, hidden laundry area, tiny toilet and additional storage but the RSJ's to do this are too much so we are looking for other ideas! We have had one but I would love to hear others first! This has been almost a year of trying to figure out what to do now but have never tried online advice before!

Any help, ideas or advice is SOOOOO appreciated! I have given more details below for more context (if helpful!). Happy to rejig floor plans, or if needed go back to planning! We have a good-sized front garden too (on a slope!)

Thank you <3

Approved shell extending our the front

Current Floor Plan

It is a split-level semi-detached bungalow (attached on the right) with 7 steps between the lounge and bedroom area. We have a garage on the left which is not connected to the house (to the left of the MH cover) and that gap between the garage and the house is the only access to our garden. The garden is on a slope and is already 1.5M higher than the ground floor in the bedrooms and goes up so extending to the rear was never really an option. We don't use the garage (its only 2.4m wide), but we already have separate parking, and a shed for tools etc. The idea was to use this space to make the social kitchen we want then add bedrooms using a loft conversion.

Approved loft conversion:

We are blessed with great views at the front and back and can only have a front dormer due to roof heights at the back (it's too low). This is what we have approved for the loft. Adding two bedrooms, a bathroom, some storage as you come up and then a huge amount of eaves storage. In blue in Bedroom 4 is a little balcony (2.7 x 1.3m).

Comments (9)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.