arrieleder

Front Entrance Door Help

arrieleder
6 years ago
Hello!

I'm currently in the middle of a renovation project on a 1930s semi-detached house and I'm a little stuck on the front door.

I'd like for there to be sidelights on either side of the front door to make the entrance hallway brighter and appear wider.

But in terms of picking the door itself I can't seem to find anything I like/can afford.

I keep going round in circles with the following options:

1) get a joiner to make a timber door in one of the three attached chevron/herringbone designs (thoughts on which of the three is better are welcomed). - I thought the chevron/herringbone design nicely reflected the porch and main roof gable ends. I've had some quotes to do this but they'll all much higher than I expected.

2) restore the original 1930s door and insert it in a frame with sidelights either side - a few houses on the street still have the same original door so it might be nice to keep it although I'm not so sure it would sit as well with the house post renovation. I'm also not sure the door is secure enough and I'd be concerned that retrofitting additional security features would ruin the appearance of the door.

3) get a different door altogether - I've looked at various composite, GRP, aluminium and steel doors and have struggled to find something I like/can afford . I also think most of the modern aluminium or steel doors tend to look a bit like prison doors which is an aesthetic I'm keen to avoid.

Any suggestions, advice or recommendations gratefully received.

Many thanks.

Comments (17)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.