webuser_156937869

Help with appropriate roof vent / tile vent

Martin W
last month

Need some professional / experienced advice.

Currently building a pitched-roof extension to the side of the house which will contain a new kitchen. It will have a central island containing an 80cm hob, and with a ceiling extractor above it (all firm and finalised - don't want and too late for a hob-integrated - want 5 cooking rings - or separate downdraft extractor).

But the headache is venting the extractor fan out of the house.

- Needs to be 6" dia ducting to give the required flow rate (confirmed by a bunch of ceiling extractor fan suppliers)

- Probably can't go through the wall (see 1st photo) without creating a box-section under the ceiling for both extractor and ducting), which will affect the look of the room.

- ...so needs to either be recirculating (prefer not to, as ceiling is 3m up and recirculators aren't as effective), or through the roof.

- If it goes through the roof, it can't be through a simple low-flow / low-profile tile vent as the pressure from a >600m3/hr extractor fan will be far too much and if it doesn't damage the roof tile will lead to a ton of backpressure with notably lower performance/extra noise from the extractor.

- So the proposed solution is a large insulated mushroom-vent which is going to go in the second row of tiles down from the peak (see link / other images), which is (a) huge; and (b) black, unlike the rest of the roof.

https://www.ubbink.com/gb/products/building/roof-terminals/pitched-roof-ventilation-tiles/roof-terminal-insulated-ub47-150mm-black/

So I feel backed into a corner right now - put up with an unsightly big black mushroom on the roof, or spoil the internal ceiling look (currently a nice, clean trapezoid - pitched front and back with a flat (3m high) central 50%+) with a dropped box-section for the extractor and ducting - that feels if anything sillier, as we're going to spend a lot more time looking at the inside of the room than the outside of the roof.

Any suggestions? Any alternatives? Anything I've not thought of?

Thanks,

Martin.

Comments (2)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.